Fall Creek Vs. Summerwood Vs. Kingwood

wordgirl

My husband and I are going to be moving from Garden Oaks (sigh) to the suburbs, because we are priced out of our neighborhood and are in serious need of a bigger house in better shape. I work from home to take care of my baby, but hope to someday return to work in the medical center. My husband works downtown. We are looking at the Northeast neighborhoods of Fall Creek, Summerwood and Kingwood. Any opinions on which is best? We are hoping to avoid too long of a commute and too many raving rednecks (non raving rednecks are OK). :)

• Like 1

And you're wanting to avoid them while staying within commuting distance of Houston?  :blink:

I hear Fall Creek is really nice.  Midtown Coog lives there and will surely tell you about it when he sees this post.

Yeah, not likely right? That's what my husband said. And we park our pickup on our front lawn, so I shouldn't be putting on airs.

We liked Fall Creek too. Pretty expensive compared to other neighborhoods, but you are paying for the location for sure.

Liked the trees and trails of Summerwood. Saw people on four wheelers riding down the sidewalk though. Not that there is anything wrong with that....

All three are within the bounds of Humble ISD.

Fall Creek and Summerwood are currently zoned to Humble High and Atascocita Middle, but it may be rezoned to the new Atascocita High.

As for Kingwood, most of it is in Humble ISD, with the Montgomery County portion in New Caney ISD. Kingwood High School will be relieved by Kingwood Park High School.

EDIT: D'oh! I meant Montgomery...

They have been redrawn before a few times (I believe LCISD and another district traded land), and some districts have merged with each other. Wilmer-Hutchins near Dallas is being handed over to Dallas ISD because WMISD has done so badly.

I actually think that Houston ISD should have all of the Houston city limits (including Kingwood, Clear Lake, etc) along with West U, Bellaire, Southside Place, and the Memorial Villages. Then Humble ISD would be made up of the city of Humble and the community of Atascosita.

After all, New York City is under one school district. So are Chicago and Los Angeles.

I think Fall Creek residents had a cow when the initial Atascocita HS boundaries were proposed because they remained zoned to Humble HS--which, among the more affluent residents of the district, has come to be considered the "ghetto" high school.  Last I heard, Fall Creek residents will be attending Atascocita.

I read that they passed a bond issue to build another high school near the beltway and 59, plus a couple more elementary schools in that area as well. Not sure about the middle school situation.

Thing about Kingwood is it sometimes takes forever to get to 59.  Kingwood Drive gets congested during rush hour, and traffic is fairly heavy all day.  And some of the subdivisions are seven miles or more from the freeway.  Also be aware that there's not much in Kingwood in the way of commercial development: you'll probably find yourself driving to the Deerbrook Mall area a lot.

Yeah, I'm worried about that. But the thing Kingwood has is trees, and lots of them. Plus libraries, banks, grocery stores etc. The area around Fall Creek and Summerwood is still lacking many amenities. I know they will come. Who knows what it will look like though. The ugly sprawl on FM 1960 turned us off of Eagle Springs.

We moved from Midtown to Fall Creek last year with no regrets. We love it. Nice and quiet, although we do hear jets from IAH. But I am a pilot and love it.

Summerwood is more built out, but that is a stressfull 8 miles from 59 during rush hour. I also see those folks on the four-wheelers at Shell on Lake Houston Parkway. That's just not my style, either. You don't see that in Fall Creek.

Kingwood may have more to choose from retail wise, but plan on an hour commute, even if you take the bus. And how often do you really go to Bombay Comapny, J.A. Bank, etc?

Fall Creek is lacking stores, etc., but they will come. It was an easy adjustment for us, since Midtown lacked retail as well. I want a little shopping, but I don't want to live in the middle of it, either.

I can get to downtown in about the same amount of time it takes me to get to Kingwood. I can get to from driveway to parking downtown in less than 30 minutes with just about no traffic. And we are one mile from the Eastex Rark and Ride.

Gotta work. I'll post some more thoughts later.

FYI - I think we won the battle to be zoned to the new high school.

They have been redrawn before a few times (I believe LCISD and another district traded land), and some districts have merged with each other. Wilmer-Hutchins near Dallas is being handed over to Dallas ISD because WMISD has done so badly.

I actually think that Houston ISD should have all of the Houston city limits (including Kingwood, Clear Lake, etc) along with West U, Bellaire, Southside Place, and the Memorial Villages. Then Humble ISD would be made up of the city of Humble and the community of Atascosita.

After all, New York City is under one school district. So are Chicago and Los Angeles.

West U, Bellaire and Southside Place are in HISD.

My, how times have changed. I grew up in that area and know every nook and crannie of the Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita area. I remember specifically the conversation I had a number of years back with a friend:

me: "I don't think I heard you right, they're building a PGA caliber golf course and million dollar homes where?"

friend:"on the North Belt just east of 59"

Next to the garbage dump on Wilson?

Near it, closer to Audubon though.

Eeww.

Like I said, times have change and I am really impressed with Fall Creek, though I would have never thought someone would have had the guts to develop homes there. Always assumed that area would remain undeveloped old oil fields. The only problem I see is whether the area surrounding Fall Creek will fill in with other subdivisions. As long as the economy keeps chugging along I think it will. That's the main selling point of Kingwood and Summerwood, the fact that they are both large established residential areas. If you are more interested in commute times to Houston tho, Fall Creek has both areas beat by a mile.

FYI - There is another golf course on the way. This was the site of the old El Dorado Golf Club.

Also new homes being built across the beltway from Fall Creek, and on both sides of Wilson.

Looks like it's going to fill in nicely. But I would actually not mind if Fall Creek stays its own little island.

We moved from Midtown to Fall Creek last year with no regrets.  We love it.  Nice and quiet, although we do hear jets from IAH.  But I am a pilot and love it.

Summerwood is more built out, but that is a stressfull 8 miles from 59 during rush hour.  I also see those folks on the four-wheelers at Shell on Lake Houston Parkway.  That's just not my style, either.  You don't see that in Fall Creek.

Kingwood may have more to choose from retail wise, but plan on an hour commute, even if you take the bus.  And how often do you really go to Bombay Comapny, J.A. Bank, etc?

Fall Creek is lacking stores, etc., but they will come.  It was an easy adjustment for us, since Midtown lacked retail as well.  I want a little shopping, but I don't want to live in the middle of it, either.

I can get to downtown in about the same amount of time it takes me to get to Kingwood.  I can get to from driveway to parking downtown in less than 30 minutes with just about no traffic.  And we are one mile from the Eastex Rark and Ride.

Gotta work.  I'll post some more thoughts later.

FYI  - I think we won the battle to be zoned to the new high school.

Thanks for the skinny of Fall Creek. Concerning the dump that HeightsGuy mentions...can you smell it from Fall Creek?

Guest danax
me: "I don't think I heard you right, they're building a PGA caliber golf course and million dollar homes where?"

Eeww.

Audubon. I remember checking those condos out years back wondering how something could sell for 10K. It was a mini-ghetto.

That's a geographically good spot and it was inevitable that it would be developed. Coog, are they planning on doing any recreational developing on Green's Bayou, trails etc.? Seems like another inevitability.

My, how times have changed. I grew up in that area and know every nook and crannie of the Humble/Kingwood/Atascocita area. I remember specifically the conversation I had a number of years back with a friend:

Eeww.

Like I said, times have change and I am really impressed with Fall Creek, though I would have never thought someone would have had the guts to develop homes there. Always assumed that area would remain undeveloped old oil fields. The only problem I see is whether the area surrounding Fall Creek will fill in with other subdivisions. As long as the economy keeps chugging along I think it will. That's the main selling point of Kingwood and Summerwood, the fact that they are both large established residential areas. If you are more interested in commute times to Houston tho, Fall Creek has both areas beat by a mile.

What and where is this Audubon neighborhood? I also read about it on the Kingwood.com message board. Is it any scarier than Independence Heights, North Shepherd and Acres Homes near where I live? I just try not to drive in those areas.

Just west of Fall Creek there is a large Wetlands mitigation bank along Green's Bayou. I think eventually they may plan to build some recreation in to the area. Go to Greens Bayou Wetlands Mitigation Bank. Take the virtual tour!

Also, just south of Lake Houston you have the Sheldon Reservoir Nature Center which pretty cool. See this WEBSITE

I think Greens Bayou will start to develope more and the placement of amenities is a priorty for developers to get buyers and the new residents will give the county a reason to add in parks and recreational facilities.

The new homes on Wilson are about a 3/4 mile form the land fill. I don't think I'd live there. They do have some nice fake-lakes.

Audobon is across form Fall Creek. I don't think it's anything to worry about. Some houses are nice, but most are not.

Have not heard much about Greens Bayou plans, but it wil run right through the new gold course.

There is also a great Co. park on the south shores of Lake Houston with boat ramps, etc. I think it butts up to Summerwood.

The new homes on Wilson are about a 3/4 mile form the land fill.  I don't think I'd live there.  They do have some nice fake-lakes.

Audobon is across form Fall Creek.  I don't think it's anything to worry about.  Some houses are nice, but most are not.

Have not heard much about Greens Bayou plans, but it wil run right through the new gold course.

There is also a great Co. park on the south shores of Lake Houston with boat ramps, etc.  I think it butts up to Summerwood.

I think it is really hard to Houston to find somewhere nice that isn't close to somewhere that is kinda shady, maybe with the exception of Kingwood and the Woodlands. I hear police sirens all the time coming down Shepherd, but generally feel pretty safe because we are a tight-knit neighborhood.

The parks sound pretty nice. What are the people like there in Fall Creek? Lots of families?

Lots of two year oldish kids, newly wed types planning to have babies, and even empty nesters who wanted to be close to golf.

I don't really see any teenagers. Maybe they are out keeping the road hot.

Oldest kids I see are middle school age I would guess.

Guest danax

I've haven't been up there for awhile but it sounds like the general area around Eastex/8 is almost developing into a northern version of Pearland, about the same distance from DT too, with perhaps with more upscale potential than Pearland.

Pics?  Price?

We're still in the process of fixing it up some to sell, so I don't have pics right now. We are thinking the $170,000 range. The neighborhood is really changing. There's a new house going up on the end of my street on 42nd, and new ones going up on Althea. Nice houses.

Not a whole lot to add, but when my wife and I suddenly moved back to Houston, we had the pleasure *sigh* of living with my parents right on the Kingwood/Atascocita border while we got set up in town. While the area was very pleasant and conducive to raising children, etc., I absolutely loathed the commute every day. Coming down 1960 or Kingwood Dr at any time approaching rush hour was very cumbersome. While the traffic on 59 isn't pretty, it was always that first/last little bit on those roads that seemed to wear me out the most.