Good Day HAIF. I know there are some well traveled individuals on this site so I would like your personal recommendations on this city.

I'll be there at the end of February for 4 nights, across the street from the Tower of London. I already have a few touristy places I'd like to see that I missed last time I was there. Canary Wharf, Tower Bridge & Tower of London, and Buckingham Palace.

I've seen Trafalgar Square, Texas Embassy, Parliament (Big Ben Clock Tower, Westminster), St. Paul's, Piccadilly Circus, Tate Modern.

So, any places that are an absolute must see? Also, if you have any great restaurants/pubs/bars/clubs that you recommend I would truly appreciate it!

• Like 1

British Museum, Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Harrods, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Imperial War Museum, Hyde Park, etc. Realistically, you could see the British Museum, St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey, and Harrods in 4 days, plus the parks. For restaurants, I've always just gone to whatever was open and close.

^I'm always intrigued by Texans who take it upon themselves to try Tex-Mex places in locales where that type of food is more than likely not nearly as good as we expect here.

If I may suggest a day trip out from London?  Perhaps Cambridge, Oxford or Bletchley?  All are a day trip (I believe?) and we of course know the first 2 as centers of higher learning, but Bletchley is where all the technical innovations of WW2 took place and I believe there is a pretty fascinating museum there?

I'm not sure of your interests, but I know from my experiences overseas I enjoy the smaller towns when possible away from the bigger cities because they offer a slightly different perspective on life that the larger places don't.  Just a thought?

^I'm always intrigued by Texans who take it upon themselves to try Tex-Mex places in locales where that type of food is more than likely not nearly as good as we expect here.

I try to skip Tex-Mex in places outside of the US, unless I am living somewhere and just need to feed an urge. The "Mexican" restaurant in the Rembrandt Hotel in Bngkok was not awful, and had a really cheesy Cuban band for entertainment. The Mexican place in the Intercon in Doha's only redeeming quality was that they sold Corona. The food was pretty mediocre(on a par with canned here). I considered moving my mother in law over there to help them out. I've never tried Mexican food anywhere else, other than Mexico, where it's really good.

For London, the food is hit or miss, mostly miss, regardless of what genre you try. Sandwiched are almost always good, but skip the desserts, they usually don't taste as good as they look. The beer in the UK is very good, though, which makes up for the food to some extent.

If you're a book fan, definitely stop in at Foyles (http://www.foyles.co.uk/). An amazing store with something for everyone.

You can get some great Indian food at many places around town; just ask at your hotel for the closest good one.

Simpson's Tavern (www.simpsonstavern.co.uk) is a cool experience in a very old setting.

The Hunterian Museum (rcseng.ac.uk/museums) is full of bizarre stuff and well worth a visit.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

If I may suggest a day trip out from London?  Perhaps Cambridge, Oxford or Bletchley?  All are a day trip (I believe?) and we of course know the first 2 as centers of higher learning, but Bletchley is where all the technical innovations of WW2 took place and I believe there is a pretty fascinating museum there?

I'm not sure of your interests, but I know from my experiences overseas I enjoy the smaller towns when possible away from the bigger cities because they offer a slightly different perspective on life that the larger places don't.  Just a thought?

The only reason I'll try Tex-Mex places or any disgusting chain (Friday's, Chillis), outside of the country is to see if they have Ranch Dressing. It has been a quest I've had since I was 12. Speaking of food I think that's why we try those places when in the UK due to the lack of taste in most dishes. It's not a stereotype if it's true.

Usually when we visit Europe our family members over there take us to surrounding villages and note worthy places. However, after seeing every Roman Catholic Church west of the Rhine River we've grown a bit tired of the country side. It will be Strictly London & Cologne while we are there, as we didn't get as much time in the city centers as we'd like to have before.

I truly appreciate all your suggestions. I'll definitely have to check out Foyles, Simpson's Tavern, Harrod's, and the Science Museum.

Most of my interests include drinking, cocktails, and light beers (also Architecture of course). I bought that mega chip for my digital camera that holds like 7,000 pictures.

Haven't seen the London eye or Madame Tussaud's mentioned yet. St pauls and the Tate modern were my favorite the last time I was there. If you're into shows, perhaps see what's playing... Lez miz or something. ... Found the theatre experience there to be very different then here.

Since you've already seen so many sites there, I agree with the poster who said pick a day to get outta town.... Go see Stonehenge or something.

London's a great place.... Have fun.

. Go see Stonehenge or something.

Never again in the Winter. It is freaking cold out there.  I don't know that Stonehenge is doable without a vehicle - I've always driven there.

The town of Salisbury is very nice, with one of my favorite English cathedrals. Winchester is pretty good too. Either of those is an easy train ride for a day trip.

• Like 2

Never again in the Winter. It is freaking cold out there.  I don't know that Stonehenge is doable without a vehicle - I've always driven there.

The town of Salisbury is very nice, with one of my favorite English cathedrals. Winchester is pretty good too. Either of those is an easy train ride for a day trip.

If you're Rockefeller it's an easy train trip. Return fare to Salisbury from London off-peak is more than $50 per rider!

The Soanes Museum, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London, Formerly the home and studio of Sir John Soanes, a Georgian neoclassical architect who collected antiquities and Old Masters paintings throughout his life. They are all displayed, just as he arranged them, in 3 interconnected townhouses. Best to check winter hours before visiting.

• Like 1

The level of detail in London is unsurpassed in Boston or San Francisco, and I like to simply experience the sequences of spaces, intricate and eloquent.  After Lincoln's Inn Fields, you should check out the Architectural Association in Bedford Square, then wind your way north through the public squares of Camden, a couple miles, to the Regent's Canal of North London, wander the Grand Union tow path, and pick your way up Highgate Hill.

Canary Wharf is about as sterile as Uptown Houston, last I visited;  nothing special. 

Canary Wharf is about as sterile as Uptown Houston, last I visited;  nothing special. 

That's very true. The only reason to go to Canary Wharf is because you need to visit an office there. Far better to spend your time wandering around the City of London, the old one square mile area where much of the financial district is. There is a ton of stuff to see there, including a bunch of superb Wren designed churches built after the Great Fire.

The level of detail in London is unsurpassed in Boston or San Francisco, and I like to simply experience the sequences of spaces, intricate and eloquent.  After Lincoln's Inn Fields, you should check out the Architectural Association in Bedford Square, then wind your way north through the public squares of Camden, a couple miles, to the Regent's Canal of North London, wander the Grand Union tow path, and pick your way up Highgate Hill.

I know Canary Wharf isn't the best examples of modern architecture in London, but I like them as a specific 90's time pieces (same with the Millennium Dome). Reminds me of my younger years. I remember London exploded with developement in the 90's and One Canada (at the time), was in at least one shot of every movie filmed in London. Mainly Spice World and Tomorrow Never Dies. I remember watching the fireworks on the 31st of 99' around the world and London seemed like the show case of the whole planet. Anyways sorry for the trip down memory lane.

Thanks for the suggestion. A quick bing image search of Highgate Hill yielded some interesting places! Regent Canal looks quaint and almost too charming.