Non-freeway traffic cameras?

Are you all aware of any non-freeway traffic cameras in the loop? TranStar is worthless in that my commute never takes me on a freeway, and I'd like to check the status of S. Main because it can get horrible if a traffic light is out or there is a wreck. Really, it would be nice to know if there are cameras for any non-freeway, in the loop thoroughfares like Kirby, Richmond, etc.

I'm not a fan of the side-street Google data for traffic. Freeways it works well, but side roads tend to be off a lot. I was hoping for even something like a Rice U weather cam that I could pull up and see if S. Main is bumper to bumper.

I don't know of any camera like that.  Transtar runs the camera network, and they only do freeways.  My suggestion would be this: create a fake route in Google Maps for the origin and destination along S. Main you're talking about.  Make a link out of it you can bring up anytime.  Usually it will say something like "X mins, Y mins in current traffic".  Watch that Y number over a few days and see how it correlates with your experience.  I think within a week or two you'll know what your tolerable Y threshold is.

• Like 1

Transtar has some street info for the major surface streets in the I-10, Hwy 6, Westpark Tollroad, 610 block, but doesn't appear to do that for any other section of the city.  Is that info in a test phase of some sort?

Transtar gets their data with EZ Tag readings.  Google takes that when available (I think), but also tracks Android phones in cars that have agreed to send data to Google.  That's how it has this data on South Main.

Transtar gets their data with EZ Tag readings.  Google takes that when available (I think), but also tracks Android phones in cars that have agreed to send data to Google.  That's how it has this data on South Main.

What I'm wondering, though, is why is it just avaialbe in that block of the city?  Are they in the process of rolling it out across town and that just happens to be the first chunk.  Since I drive in that area a lot, I've found it to be useful.  Hopefully it will get rolled out inside the loop and elsewhere.