What's wrong with freeways?

IronTiger

So everyone in the world that goes for daily walks are just invisible to you?

There is a huge difference between the number of people who walk for pleasure and the ones who walk because they have no choice. In my experience, the vast majority of walkers do so because that's the only way they have to get around. IF they had the means, they would drive.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking for enjoyment of a pretty day or to get some excercise is one thing.  That can be done most places and in fact is one of the selling points of many of the suburban master planned communities.  Walking to get groceries for a family of four (or five or six or, in my case seven) or to Lowes to get some lumber for a project is quite another thing.

People in the suburbs don't walk much. If they didn't Houston wouldn't be one of the fattest cities in the world.

There is a huge difference between the number of people who walk for pleasure and the ones who walk because they have no choice. In my experience, the vast majority of walkers do so because that's the only way they have to get around. IF they had the means, they would drive.

I disagree, and I'm pretty sure I've been to more third world countries than you, and never in my life have I seen one where the only choice is walking. Stop exaggerating. Whether there is rickshaw, bicycle, motorcycle, auto rickshaw, scooter, there are always some other options.

People in the suburbs don't walk much. If they didn't Houston wouldn't be one of the fattest cities in the world.

Those "fattest" city rankings are a joke.  They base it primarily on restaurants per capita and other indirect measures.

Go visit the suburban parks, Terry Hershey and Oyster Creek come to mind, and then get back to me.  People in the suburbs tend to walk for pleasure and excercise, not out of necessity. 

I'm pretty sure you're the smartest man to ever visit these boards, Vik. You have been everywhere, done everything, and we're all wrong except you. Congratulations, you've won the internet.

He'll have to fight Al Gore for it.

I'm sure too but have you seen any other state with as many obese people as Texas?

According to the CDC the following state have obesity rates equal to or greater than Texas.

Louisiana

Mississippi

Arkansas

West Virginia

Alabama

Oklahoma

South Carolina

Indiana

Kentucky

Michigan

Tennessee

Iowa

Ohio

Kansas

North Dakota

Wisconsin

Missouri

North Carolina

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

Texas is listed at 29.2% and New York is listed at 23.6%.  Only 5.6 points different.  I'd guess that the difference in demographics between the two accounts for most, if not all, of the variance.

Archived