General Gardening and Landscaping

august948

I was working in the yard this morning and thought I'd start a discussion on general gardening and landscaping topics.

I'll start it off with a couple of questions that came up while I was working on the front yard.

1)  Has anyone had any success with weed block fabric?  I've used double and triple layers of the best "professional grade" stuff I can find at Home Depot or Lowes and stuff still pops up through it within a year.  Any recommendations?

2)  I'm looking for a rectangular planter in the 4 to 6 foot range, made out of concrete or similar with decorations.  Anyone know of good places to look for that sort of thing?  I've seen a place out in Hempsted that looks like it carries a lot of planters but I'd rather check places closer in first.

2)  I'm looking for a rectangular planter in the 4 to 6 foot range, made out of concrete or similar with decorations.  Anyone know of good places to look for that sort of thing?  I've seen a place out in Hempsted that looks like it carries a lot of planters but I'd rather check places closer in first.

I think the Houston Garden Centers carry those types of planters....

I was working in the yard this morning and thought I'd start a discussion on general gardening and landscaping topics.

I'll start it off with a couple of questions that came up while I was working on the front yard.

1)  Has anyone had any success with weed block fabric?  I've used double and triple layers of the best "professional grade" stuff I can find at Home Depot or Lowes and stuff still pops up through it within a year.  Any recommendations?

Use about 12 sheets of newspaper underneath mulch instead of weed block fabric.  I've had great luck with this method.

I think the Houston Garden Centers carry those types of planters....

I've checked a couple of the HGC's on the west side and have only found round planters.  Some pretty big ones, but round all the same.  Checked Lowes and HD with no luck.  i'm probably looking for an independent gardening center that gets non-run-of-the-mill stuff.

Archived