European landmarks, from the top

Holy Crapski! This is a little vertiginous but mighty cool:

http://gawker.com/5992398/the-unbelievable-photos-taken-by-the-crazy-russians-who-illegally-climbed-egypts-great-pyramid/1301120165

also, Cologne cathedral really is magnigficent. A good day trip from Amsterdam if you're just passing thru. One of those places I wouldn't have thought to go at first but glad I did.

Holy Crapski! This is a little vertiginous but mighty cool:

http://gawker.com/5992398/the-unbelievable-photos-taken-by-the-crazy-russians-who-illegally-climbed-egypts-great-pyramid/1301120165

also, Cologne cathedral really is magnigficent. A good day trip from Amsterdam if you're just passing thru. One of those places I wouldn't have thought to go at first but glad I did.

Couldn't agree more about Cologne Cathedral. I got of the train there just for a beer, but was amazed at the Cathedral.

• 1 month later...

Cologne is fantastic.  The towers are a touch out of scale with the original Medieval cathedral, but still one of my favorite buildings in the world.

Ulm Cathedral is equally spectacular, and far less peopled.  For those who are adventurous you can walk to the top of the Ulm spire (the highest such spire in the world - currently.  It is 530 feet to the tip.  You can walk to the top of the platform/roof which is 469 feet up (quite impressive).  The view up there is really amazing.  And since Ulm is quite a bit smaller than Cologne it affords a more complete view of the town proper, and on clear days you can see the Bavarian Alps to the south, as Ulm is in northern Baveria.

My avatar is the Ulm Cathedral as viewed from the Muenster Platz.  While not my photo, I took one exactly like that except the clouds aren't as impressive.

Archived