Let's Close Main Street To Cars

A bigger problem for bike riders, walkers, and drivers are the unintended consequences of the N/S light signal priority sequencing in downtown and midtown. It creates an incentive for E/W drivers to gun it at their green lights in order to, maybe, catch the next light within 5 seconds. I've seen a lot of T-bone accidents of people running the E/W lights or even people running stale reds (yes, I got clipped once this way as a pedestrian). Just take a random look at all the bent up lamp posts all over downtown but especially around the "parking lot district". This sort of reckless driving is the worst on Friday evening rush hours and around the Main St. crossing, don't know why..

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bigger problem for bike riders, walkers, and drivers are the unintended consequences of the N/S light signal priority sequencing in downtown and midtown. It creates an incentive for E/W drivers to gun it at their green lights in order to, maybe, catch the next light within 5 seconds. I've seen a lot of T-bone accidents of people running the E/W lights or even people running stale reds (yes, I got clipped once this way as a pedestrian). Just take a random look at all the bent up lamp posts all over downtown but especially around the "parking lot district". This sort of reckless driving is the worst on Friday evening rush hours and around the Main St. crossing, don't know why..

It amazes me, even on the streets that are timed E/W (pierce and st Joseph) people still race to get to the next light. And there's me ambling along at 25mph catching all greens. Sort of actually, you have to cut off of st Joseph's at fannin down to gray to keep getting green at 25mph, but yeah, still weird.

• 6 months later...

Well, a few more blocks are being closed, at least. The new plan has Main Street in front of the old Macy's being closed and turned into a plaza, and I think also the 1200 block in front of Marriott and Greenstreet?

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2014-02-07/140203-Main_St-Public_Mtg_Presentation-SM.pdf

Where do you get the idea the block in front of Marriott and GreenStreet would be closed?  Doesn't appear to be the case from the map you linked.

I was half-right. Southbound is still open (for now), northbound has been closed for years.

When I said in front of the old Macy's, I meant in front of the old Macy's, not across the street from it. Yes, the convenience store side has been closed for a long time.

Archived