Should Houston have zoning?

Slick Vik

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that mentality might be a little closed minded, but I agree, there's no real reason for zoning to be implemented at this time. 

I think you could read it as we're not stuck in the past and/or not tied down by how things are done elsewhere. I don't think anyone can claim that Houston is hidebound.

I am not sure about traditional zoning, but I think Houston could benefit from having forms-based zoning. That is - regulate the height of buildings or form of them, and tie this to the planned infrastructure for an area.  We would have no Ashby high-rise in such a situation, but more development along roads like Kirby, and possibly more emphasis on providing high-quality mass transit in the corridors that should support it.  Also we could require more minimal setbacks etc.

Also - probably we shouldn't call it zoning, as this is equivalent to calling something a "tax" to Republicans - it is Dead on Arrival.  Just call it "form-based code" and leave it at that.

Regardless of whether we end up with form-based code or not, I think the lack of zoning in Houston has been over-hyped and largely does not have that much to do with our success or the uniqueness of Houston - there are plenty of other regulations that take its place here.  So I am fine with replacing current regulations with something that makes more sense.

• 1 month later...

No we should have no zoning, that is why we are booming.  NW Harris County has a population of 1.5 million.  I wonder is the city will try to annex those communities.  That area would be the bigger then Dallas.  There is no way to annex all of that area.  But Houston cannot be hemmed in like Dallas.  Small portions will help with taxes.  I know Houston will annex ExxonMobil campus when it is done.  The city should study it because the Grand Parkway is under construction. 

Archived