MetroRail Completion?

shasta

2014. The critical path now might be delivery and testing of the CAF cars because they had some strikes in Spain. The exact date will depend on when those start showing up. North line will probably be completed first.

I rode on one of the new Siemens trains yesterday morning.  I should have paid more attention, but it was early on a Monday morning. :mellow:  The tone of the speakers is different and the doors close differently.  You better get out of their way, they close pretty hard.  The seats look different but with the same fabric.  Also, the vertical 'hold onto' poles split into 3 rungs in the middle.

I'm curious about the new line that goes west through downtown. Every map I've seen shows the line terminating well short of hobby theatre, but they are currently extending it over the bayou. They clearly have future plans for that line that I've never seen stated publicly. It looks like maybe west down Washington?

I'm curious about the new line that goes west through downtown. Every map I've seen shows the line terminating well short of hobby theatre, but they are currently extending it over the bayou. They clearly have future plans for that line that I've never seen stated publicly. It looks like maybe west down Washington?

It stops over the bayou.  There is a bridge to allow for switching directions and storing trains.  I'm sure they built it like that with future extensions in the Washington Ave. direction in mind, but that is unlikely to happen for many decades.  The next line that will happen (if ever) would most likely be some form of the University Line.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a "way in the distant future" map that METRO put out a long time ago that showed the existing Red Line, the current expansion plans (North/Red Line extension, East End Line, Southeast Line, Uptown Line, & University Line), and a number of future expansion lines: (1) westward extension of Southeast/East End Line from downtown to Northwest Transit Center running primarily along Washington Ave, (2) southward extension of current Red Line from Fannin South Station down to Sunnyside, (3) eastward extension of Southeast Line to Hobby Airport, (4) southeastward extension of East End Line which meets up with Southeast Line somewhere in Hobby Airport vicinity, (5) northward extension of North Line to Bush Intercontinental Airport, and (6) westward extension of University Line from Hilcroft Transit Center down the right-of-way that METRO owns parallel to Westpark Tollway. The map also showed a few commuter rail lines, but I can't remember exactly which areas they served. I want to say up to northwest area from Northwest TC parallel to US 290, but not 100% sure. I haven't seen that map in years. I think METRO has thrown it in the vault since then cause they know its a pipe dream.

I saw a "way in the distant future" map that METRO put out a long time ago that showed the existing Red Line, the current expansion plans (North/Red Line extension, East End Line, Southeast Line, Uptown Line, & University Line), and a number of future expansion lines: (1) westward extension of Southeast/East End Line from downtown to Northwest Transit Center running primarily along Washington Ave, (2) southward extension of current Red Line from Fannin South Station down to Sunnyside, (3) eastward extension of Southeast Line to Hobby Airport, (4) southeastward extension of East End Line which meets up with Southeast Line somewhere in Hobby Airport vicinity, (5) northward extension of North Line to Bush Intercontinental Airport, and (6) westward extension of University Line from Hilcroft Transit Center down the right-of-way that METRO owns parallel to Westpark Tollway. The map also showed a few commuter rail lines, but I can't remember exactly which areas they served. I want to say up to northwest area from Northwest TC parallel to US 290, but not 100% sure. I haven't seen that map in years. I think METRO has thrown it in the vault since then cause they know its a pipe dream.

It is a pipe dream, no way that's happening in my lifetime. 

I think a reasonable expectation for the next 50 years or so would be something akin to the University line, and *maybe* service to both airports.  I'd be satisfied with that.

It is a pipe dream, no way that's happening in my lifetime.

I think a reasonable expectation for the next 50 years or so would be something akin to the University line, and *maybe* service to both airports. I'd be satisfied with that.

Completely agree. Service to both airports is essential.

I just hope that METRO doesn't cave in and sells off any right-of-way that it currently owns planned for light rail to TxDOT or HCTRA for new toll roads (i.e., land parallel to Westpark Tollway).

Archived