Drive-In Theatre Being Built In Tomball

Sweet!!

I've never been to a Drive-In, but I remember there was one in Houston off of I-45 and West Road when I was a kid (where Frye Electronics is now).

This seems like it will work, even in Houston summers, because of the FM radio tuner thing. You can keep the windows up and the A/C on and still hear the movie.

I'll drive to Tomball for this !! :D

"This seems like it will work, even in Houston summers, because of the FM radio tuner thing. You can keep the windows up and the A/C on and still hear the movie."

Oh man, I hadn't thought of that. A parking lot full of cars and SUVs, idling for 2 hours? Even if you wanted to leave the windows down, everyone one else's exhaust would gag you. Guess I'll limit my drive-in watching to the spring and fall.

Okay, I know this is going to seriously date me, but...

When we used to go to drive-in movie theatres, everyone drove in and parked and turned off their engines. I can't remember anybody idling their engines, but I'm sure it happened somewhere. It was always such a treat to go to the drive-in! If you were lucky enough to go there in a pick-em-up truck with your friends, you could back into a space, let down the tailgate, set up the folding aluminum lawn chairs, and you were all set. I can't wait to take my kids there in October!

Sit and run your engine for two hours, and I may personally open a can of whoop-arse on you.

Seriously! And if I don't, your mechanic surely will.

I actually think they require you to turn it off in respect to the other customers.

We used to go to the drive in on I-45 N. up until the late 80s.

In the 70s, we used to go to the one in La Marque.

I also remember and X rated drive in in Pasadena.

Would love to see the business plan on this one. I've heard in the past that drive-ins are a losing proposition. There is not enough of a market for people to go to drive-ins to see older movies, and new releases are so expensive to show that you have to pack people in to make any kind of profit.

Would love to see the business plan on this one. I've heard in the past that drive-ins are a losing proposition. There is not enough of a market for people to go to drive-ins to see older movies, and new releases are so expensive to show that you have to pack people in to make any kind of profit.

I was wondering the same thing. So what type of movies do you all think will be played here?

I will probably end up going to it though.

According to the article there will be a single screen, and it will play new releases. They would like to eventually stay open 7 days a week but they know they will probably have to start with limited hours.

Man this is great news! I notoced when moving here that I couldn't find any drivein theaters, now there's hope.

There's really nothing like it. you can bring your own food and drinks, talk during the movie, and it's such a great atmosphere. I'm stoked.

• 8 months later...

(an e-mail from the folks at the Showboat Drive-In):

"Hello everyone,

We want to thank everyone for their patience and well wishes. We have had a tremendously positive response from the community. Our labor of love has taken us longer than we had anticipated, but as many of you know it has been a family project for us. Our crew of five has been working long hours to get everything completed. We are planning to open on March 31st with Ice Age 2. We will not be completely finished but are so eager to open up that we will complete everything as we go. We hope everyone is as excited as we are to have a drive in again. We will be revamping our website soon so that you can get showtimes and coming event information. On March 31st we will open our gates at 6pm and the movie will start at 7:30. Ticket prices will be 5.00 for adults and 4.00 for children.

Thank you all so much for your e-mails. It has been great to hear your memories of drive ins of the past. We hope you will all come out to The Showboat Drive In and make some new memories.

Please feel free to e-mail us with any questions you may have.

Hope to see you all soon at The Showboat Drive In!

Chris & Johnny"

I drove by the Drive -in the other day and it looks great. We live in the Lakes of Roshill area, this will be a fun for our family and very close. The idea of having family style movies will make it successful. I remember going to drive in's when I was a kid but all of them were located in bad parts of town and you had to worry about gangs, drugs and a bad elimant. This location will draw families from a much larger area that is growing. I sure hope they make it!!

• The title was changed to Drive-In Theatre Being Built In Tomball

Archived