The Noble Salvage

lynnedm.jpg

Bill Olive / Special to the Chronicle

PIECES OF THE PAST: Lynn Edmundson at Historic Houston's salvage warehouse.

ddarilek.jpg

LOW, LOW WAREHOUSE PRICES: Dan Darilek, an intern from Tulane University, evaluates items for sale.

July 8, 2005, 11:47AM

The noble salvage

Preservationist Lynn Edmundson struggles to save Houston's history -- piece by piece

By LISA GRAY

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Read More...

• 2 years later...

Alert:

Over in West U area there are several big time renovations going on in some of the nice older homes. Sad part is many of the antigue doors are just being tossed out for heavy trash pick up. :angry: My blood oils! Someone please tell others to cruise around and take these jewels home for some TLC or at least to refurbish and resell perhaps. They just dont make em like this any more! My house filleth uppeth already and simply have no room. (Now I know whats its like when people pick up stray kitties)

Most of the doors appear to have minor scratches which can be buffed out, painted, stained over etc. Please, this is also more historical Houston headed for the landfill. :( Santo cielo!

Many are of Craftsman and 1920-40's style, multipaneled and with paned glass.

Great idea!

Imagine being insane enough to toss out something like this? I have seen these stripped and restore and bumped up to $500.00 a piece. Apparently the new owners have ziltch interest in either preservation or making the smallest of cash? :wacko:

I found some like these way over in Galvez, so they must have survived the 1900 catastrophe which even gives them a good story of interest. See, its not just the look/value but the story within. Wow if these doors could talk.

doors080202.jpg

Actually that very long door must have came off a turn of the century home or business. One day I was scouting off Broadway in Galvez and found a nice raised cottage that had been abandoned and clearly had been burned out by homeless crowd. A neighbor that owned it told me go ahead and get what you want its about to be cleared. I grabbed 2 just like that one in the pic. Free.

About a year later I took that tour of Sacred Places tour and bought a book of old Galvez homes. That same house was pictured (in its glory days) described the tenants that had it built around 1886?I almost flipped. So long story short I have these doors that survived the 1900 storm and the owner was a wine importer that ran a business during those days and the house apparently survived the calamity and was later raised, etc. Maybe I am one of the few on this forum that cherishes historic items as this, thats alright. :) I do like modern as well, but this is once in a lifetime historical artifact's to me. :blush:

Now I'm ready to dive down to Titanic (ultimate dream).

Our front door came from Historic Houston. Great price ($350), and it gave me an opportunity to work on my restoration skills. I just wish I knew what property it came from originally! Our old, solid door will be going to HH this weekend, hopefully for someone else to enjoy.

2337626584_32db3957d3.jpg

Our front door came from Historic Houston. Great price ($350), and it gave me an opportunity to work on my restoration skills. I just wish I knew what property it came from originally! Our old, solid door will be going to HH this weekend, hopefully for someone else to enjoy.

Great find! I grabbed one almost exactly like that on another heavy trash pick up pile (not embarrassed to say either) from a beautiful 2 story brick home at Fourcade & Telephone Rd. before it was plowed. Took home cleaned up replaced a couple of panes of glass and is now in use. One side still had original stained brownish colour.

I got to hand to the people at that old salvage place on Fannin at least they send out scouts to take whats headed for the landfill take back, polish up, an resale. Most of these relics come from the near demolishing of the nabes around Dowling all the way to Elgin or there abouts. I never called them "wards" so I do not know what the hell its called, but all around that area.

PS, even antique furniture ends up in the trash, just slow down and look closely. This is the true stories we hear about on Antiques Road Show. We worship. :blush: