Parts Of Town That Go Back In Time

IronTiger

So I read Editor's piece on the "Best Worst Block" of Chicago, and I thought it was pretty fascinating, that such a place like exists today, especially with the Men Only flophouse.

I'm wondering if there are any similar areas in Houston: areas that really haven't been updated in years, and with a bit of imagination, you can place yourself back sometime in the 20th century without leaving the year 2012. Knowing Houston's track record with the "tear it down" mentality with little unscathed (alas, even the Alabama Theatre was butchered), I'm not so sure. My adventures in Houston last year were a pretty interesting experience--I got to see a bunch of neighborhoods I had not seen before--but I am curious of the large city located just an hour or so outside my home.

You ask: I'm wondering if there are any similar areas in Houston: areas that really haven't been updated in years, and with a bit of imagination, you can place yourself back sometime in the 20th century without leaving the year 2012.

I would imagine that most of the inner Loop east of I-45 and SH 288 would qualify.

Also probably nearly everything in between the 610 Loop and the Beltway would qualify...you could place yourself back in the 1980's in a huge chunk of Houston. Not sure that's EXACTLY what you're looking for, but it was still the 20th century. :)

I don't get out and drive through town as much as I used to, but get off in the 1st Ward, 2nd Ward, 3rd Ward, 5th Ward. Lots of those areas haven't been touched in decades. Parts of North Pasadena would qualify. Channelview? Baytown? When you think about it, there are lots of places in Houston that qualify.

You ask: I'm wondering if there are any similar areas in Houston: areas that really haven't been updated in years, and with a bit of imagination, you can place yourself back sometime in the 20th century without leaving the year 2012.

I would imagine that most of the inner Loop east of I-45 and SH 288 would qualify.

Yep. Drive down Dowling from I-45 to about Elgin or Wheeler. It has a 1950s quality, I think Wolf's Department Store in all its mod goodness and the Art Deco Eldorado Ballroom helps give it that flavor.

Runners up would be parts of Jensen near Kelly Rd. and Acres Homes.

Edited by JLWM8609

If you REALLY want to be taken back in time take a slow drive through the area south of I-10 between North Main and US 59. The very far northern edge of downtown. You'll find old buildings and houses that were built in the late 1800s. Some have been rehabbed and are in use, but others are in a sad state of decay.

There is also the neighborhood west of Houston Ave between Memorial and Washington Ave, and the neighborhood north of Washington Ave along and on both sides of Houston Ave. There are also a number of streets in the Woodland Heights area between Studewood and Beauchamp.

A fair amount of the Fifth Ward. Lyons, Jensen, Elysian.

Except for the cars, Broadacres.

A bit of Cherryhurst.

The Rice Academic Quad.

The area around Gus Wortham Golf Course and Villa De Matel.

Quite a bit of Garden Oaks.

The pre-1980 part of Pearland.

That's all I can think of right now. Bet sevfiv can think of more...

• The title was changed to Parts Of Town That Go Back In Time