HCTRA - 2012 Annual Report

HCTRA recently posted its annual report for FY 2012 (ended February 29).

https://www.hctra.org/file_download/182/TollRoad_FY2012.pdf

Some highlights:

* Toll revenue was $519 million, a 7.9% increase over FY 2011. Total revenue was $566 million, an increase 13.9% over FY 2011.

* All toll facilities saw increased traffic except Hardy Toll Road South (down 0.4%) The Katy Freeway Toll lane traffic increased 13%.

* The HCTRA section of the Fort Bend Parkway halted its four year traffic decline with a 2% increase over FY 2011. Traffic remains 13% below the 2008 peak. The Fort Bend Parkway appears to be the only HCTRA project which qualifies as an underperformer.

* The busiest segment was the Sam Houston Tollway North, at 71,226,681, or about 195,000 vehicles per day. The second busiest was the Sam Houston South (US 59 to IH 10) at 69,947,937 followed by Sam Houston Central (IH 10 to US 290) at 57,501,489 followed by Westpark Tollway at 41,234,056.

* $120 million was transferred out of HCTRA to finance county road projects. Another $13.2 million was allocated to an unspecified non-toll bridge project.

* Total outstanding bond principal is $2.605 billion with total debt service (including interest) at $4.396 billion with scheduled payments through 2050.

* Services and fees, which is probably mostly engineering consultants, was $77,813,626

Overall, the financial position of HCTRA looks good and allows HCTRA to finance its upcoming projects, including $400 million for the US 290 toll lanes. I still don't like the diversions to road projects - I would rather see the funds used to pay down debt.

• Like 2

Overall, the financial position of HCTRA looks good and allows HCTRA to finance its upcoming projects, including $400 million for the US 290 toll lanes. I still don't like the diversions to road projects - I would rather see the funds used to pay down debt.

Agreed on this part. $120 Million a year - in 10 years over half the debt could be retired.

Wish politicians had the cojones to keep funds separate instead of co-mingling all funding. It would show the public what services really cost and the public might actually pay attention and make intelligent decisions based on cost/benefit.

Nah - that would never happen.

• Like 1

So when will all these ripoffs pay for themselves so that they can be made free again?

Unless the toll revenue funds an endowment for operations and maintenance they will never "pay for themselves." Operating and maintaining a highway is not cheap.

No endowment is necessary as long as the toll revenue pays for operations and maintenance, which it is doing... therefore these highways are indeed paying for themselves.

• The title was changed to HCTRA - 2012 Annual Report