Complaints About How Bicycles Act On The Roads

heights

As to the reason the cars stop without a stop sign when the bike is coming from a direction with a stop sign - its because we know from watching these yahoos that most times they wont stop, and the pain in the butt of dealing with an accident and possibly hurting someone is not worth the 1 second saved by slowing down to be sure the biker was actually going to stop.

Some of us may get a tiny bit of enjoyment from ensuring that the bike rider has to follow the rules and actually stop.

You are not doing me any favors by making up your own traffic rules at intersections, you are just demonstrating that you have some power and control over my progress and, ultimately, my safety. Behave in a predictable, legal and safe manner and you will have fewer problems interacting with bikes.

And if you are driving, and becoming frustrated and angry at bikers, and making up traffic rules, and trying to use your cameraphone to take pictures of them, you may be a more dangerous driver than I thought. I have made the necessary adjustment to my bike riding risk assessment, thanks.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I have made the necessary adjustment to my bike riding risk assessment, thanks...

I gave up when I started considering taking classes at HCC to learn how to format actuarial tables.

Nowadays, I just assume that I have a target on my back and every car is playing a game trying to hit the target.

You are not doing me any favors by making up your own traffic rules at intersections, you are just demonstrating that you have some power and control over my progress and, ultimately, my safety. Behave in a predictable, legal and safe manner and you will have fewer problems interacting with vehicles.

Fixed it for you.

i was weaving in and out of trashcans and parked cars on heights one time (on longboard not bicycle) and car unexpectedly opened their door. I almost ate it, and scared the lady nearly to death. The car had just been sitting there the entire time and had no signs of anyone in it, apparently she was on the phone for a while (we talked for a few seconds after the near miss). Be mindfull of car doors while riding the bikeline on trashdays!

I recently was skating on the sidewalk on studewood and there was a truck parked across the walkway, i let my board go under it, jumped into the bed of the truck ran across and tried to jump back on to my board (FAIL!). I plan to practice this maneuver everytime I see a truck blocking the sidewalk with the truck bed.

Bicycle Scavenger Hunt tomorrow!

i was weaving in and out of trashcans and parked cars on heights one time (on longboard not bicycle) and car unexpectedly opened their door. I almost ate it, and scared the lady nearly to death. The car had just been sitting there the entire time and had no signs of anyone in it, apparently she was on the phone for a while (we talked for a few seconds after the near miss). Be mindfull of car doors while riding the bikeline on trashdays!

I recently was skating on the sidewalk on studewood and there was a truck parked across the walkway, i let my board go under it, jumped into the bed of the truck ran across and tried to jump back on to my board (FAIL!). I plan to practice this maneuver everytime I see a truck blocking the sidewalk with the truck bed.

I'm going to pull my truck across the sidewalk right now, so I'll know who you are when I hear the thump outside.

I'm going to pull my truck across the sidewalk right now, so I'll know who you are when I hear the thump outside.

§ 42.03. OBSTRUCTING HIGHWAY OR OTHER PASSAGEWAY. (a) A

person commits an offense if, without legal privilege or authority,

he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:

(1) obstructs a highway, street, sidewalk, railway,

waterway, elevator, aisle, hallway, entrance, or exit to which the

public or a substantial group of the public has access, or any other

place used for the passage of persons, vehicles, or conveyances,

regardless of the means of creating the obstruction and whether the

obstruction arises from his acts alone or from his acts and the acts

of others;

:D

You could do this with cars too. Just slide across the hoods ala Bo & Luke Duke.

§ 42.03. OBSTRUCTING HIGHWAY OR OTHER PASSAGEWAY. (a) A

person commits an offense if, without legal privilege or authority,

he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:

(1) obstructs a highway, street, sidewalk, railway,

waterway, elevator, aisle, hallway, entrance, or exit to which the

public or a substantial group of the public has access, or any other

place used for the passage of persons, vehicles, or conveyances,

regardless of the means of creating the obstruction and whether the

obstruction arises from his acts alone or from his acts and the acts

of others;

:D

I run stop signs on my bicycle. You think I care about blocking sidewalks with my truck?

You are not doing me any favors by making up your own traffic rules at intersections, you are just demonstrating that you have some power and control over my progress and, ultimately, my safety. Behave in a predictable, legal and safe manner and you will have fewer problems interacting with bikes.

And if you are driving, and becoming frustrated and angry at bikers, and making up traffic rules, and trying to use your cameraphone to take pictures of them, you may be a more dangerous driver than I thought. I have made the necessary adjustment to my bike riding risk assessment, thanks.

Like it or not only about 20% of the people on bicycles even think about stopping, or for that matter slowing, at a stop sign on the hike and bike trail...if you think Im going to just barrel across the trail even though I have the right of way and dont have a stop - you are wrong. Too many idiots riding means I have to slow down to be sure you are going to stop before I pass through....If that means that my slowing is going to force you to follow the law and actually stop your bike at a freaking stop sign - Im really sorry (sarcasm). I shed no tear for you.

This morning I was driving, listening to hate radio, drinking coffee, and taking pictures of the biker on Yale...alas it was too dark and none of them were usable...he was a grade A piece of work though. Drove on Yale in the right lane in traffic in the dark (like he is supposed to) slowing everyone to below a crawl as they tried to get around him....until the light at I-10 where it was red....he sat in line for about eight seconds then walked his bike up the sidewalk so he did not have to sit in traffic at the stop light - went around the traffic - crossed at the red light, then got back in front of the cars (who literally just passed his slowing moving rear-end) who were in line at the red light and proceeded back in the roadway b/c there was no sidewalk at the bridge of death. (which I luckily crossed again without killing everyone)

Its people like that who annoy us drivers....he was biking slowly, obstructing normal traffic, then when you finally get around him, he breaks the law cuts around traffic, just to re-obstruct the same people he already obstructed once. He made it successfully past the Walmart though where I lost sight of him.

Let me know when you're going to do this, I'll help, and by help, I mean I'll video tape it and put it on youtube.

Its people like that who annoy us drivers....he was biking slowly, obstructing normal traffic, then when you finally get around him, he breaks the law cuts around traffic, just to re-obstruct the same people he already obstructed once. He made it successfully past the Walmart though where I lost sight of him.

It's not illegal to walk a bike on the sidewalk.

hell, if it were possible to push your car, and it fit on the sidewalk, I bet people would do this all over the place.

Imagine if more people chose to bicycle, you could move around much more freely in your truck, or you could even be one of the guys skipping traffic by walking your bike on the sidewalk to pass all the poor folk sitting in their cars staring daggers into your back as you pass them.

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

He was not walking his bike on the sidewalk. He was riding it...He walked it through the grass to get to the sidewalk.

I know cycling on the sidewalk is fair game, so long as there aren't commercial businesses within a certain distance. I don't pretend to know the area really well though to say.

Archived