New Look

editor

There were about 50 people logged in this morning when I upgraded the software that runs this forum. Sorry if it was bumpy at times.

I have been saving the money from those ads you see at the top of the screen, and purchased a fully licensed version of the forum software with upgrades for life.

We are now running on the latest, fastest, most secure version of the software with a number of new features.

Until I get used to the new features and sort through the new settings, things may look a little weird around here.

I appreciate your patience.

Oh one question about something I just noticed. Can we not view members topics anymore? Before that option was around when you clicked a members profile. It seems the space is still there just not the link. It is not really that important. I was just wondering.

Oh one question about something I just noticed.  Can we not view members topics anymore?  Before that option was around when you clicked a members profile.  It seems the space is still there just not the link.  It is not really that important.  I was just wondering.

I see the mission option line you're talking about. I wonder what's supposed to be there. You can still see a member's messages by clicking on the line above it "Find member's posts."

Since I'm a fully paid-up owner of the software now, I'll have to avail myself of the support system and ask what's up.

Another note -- The new version of the software is due out soonish. It should bring some really really interesting features and make posting stuff a lot easier for all of you.

It will also open the possibility to new features that would cost extra, but we might be able to pay for in time -- things like chat rooms and every user having their own blog space.

hey that would be pretty cool. If it ever came to it, and you needed some donations, i wouldn't mind donating some money to you.

Maybe not as much as you'd like since I am only 17 and don't get paid 20 bucks an hour, but something atleast.

It's never come up before. The forum sprang from its parent site, Houston Architecture Info, so it just seemed natural to call it Houston Architecture Info Forum.

If the word "architecture" keeps kiddies and trolls away, I'm OK with that.

Of course, a lot of web sites have titles that aren't exactly descriptive.

Craig's List

Google

Yahoo

Snapfish

Emporis

DSL Reports is far more than DSL these days.

Sitll, I'm always open for suggestions. Does anyone else think the forum name should be changed? No fair saying "yes" without offering a name suggestion.

Guest danax

I didn't read all of this thread, maybe it was mentioned, but did the upgrade have anything to do with hitting 1000 members? And it does seem that we attract a fairly good group without a lot of worthless posts. I'd be hesitant to mess with the name.

I didn't read all of this thread, maybe it was mentioned, but did the upgrade have anything to do with hitting 1000 members?

FWIW.. I just took an unofficial count and it seems that less than 25% of the 1000 members have over 10 total posts. There are over 300 members that have never posted, 200 that have only 1 post, and another 250 that have somewhere between 2 and 10 total posts.

I think the name is fine as it is. I think if we changed the name, than we would have a lot more off topic convo's than we already have.

Not saying that I don't like the conversations we have though. :P

FWIW.. I just took an unofficial count and it seems that less than 25% of the 1000 members have over 10 total posts. There are over 300 members that have never posted, 200 that have only 1 post, and another 250 that have somewhere between 2 and 10 total posts.

Some are people who are lurking. There's a few message boards I'm a member of that I only post once a year or so on.

Some are people who have come and then forgotten to come back. I have the ability to mass e-mail these people and remind them of their membership, but I really really hate spam.

I didn't read all of this thread, maybe it was mentioned, but did the upgrade have anything to do with hitting 1000 members? And it does seem that we attract a fairly good group without a lot of worthless posts. I'd be hesitant to mess with the name.

The upgrade was just because I'd saved enough money from the ads at the top and bottom of the pages to finally purchase the program. It's $185, so it took a while since after paying for hosting and bandwidth there's not much left over at the end of the month.

The chat feature runs something like $10-40/month. You people are going to have to click on a lot more ads to make that happen.

The web site doesn't earn money on a per-click basis, but there is a term for what you describe. It's called "click fraud." Most ad networks have very good systems to detecting this sort of thing.

Again, repeatedly clicking on the same ad does nothing for the site. We're paid just for displaying the ad. But if the site as a whole has a greater click-through rate, then we can attract higher-paying better quality advertisers. I know I'd rather see a few more United Airlines ads and a few less Smiley Central ads.

The web site doesn't earn money on a per-click basis, but there is a term for what you describe.  It's called "click fraud."  Most ad networks have very good systems to detecting this sort of thing.

Again, repeatedly clicking on the same ad does nothing for the site.  We're paid just for displaying the ad.  But if the site as a whole has a greater click-through rate, then we can attract higher-paying better quality advertisers.  I know I'd rather see a few more United Airlines ads and a few less Smiley Central ads.

Just wondering do you get payed anything for me? The reason I ask is because I haven't seen any ads on here for months. I would kind of feel bad if you didn't. How does it work if a user has ad blockers through firewalls etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you just add the board statistics at the bottom of the forum frontpage?

Interesting feature nonetheless

Yeah. It's a feature I activated just to see what it looks like. It puts a little extra strain on the server, so I don't know how long I'll keep it there. But it's pretty to look at.

Just wondering do you get payed anything for me?  The reason I ask is because I haven't seen any ads on here for months.  I would kind of feel bad if you didn't.  How does it work if a user has ad blockers through firewalls etc.

When people have ad blockers on what happens is, I spend money serving them pages, but don't make any money to pay for the pages I served. So, essentially it comes out of my pocket. Think of each page as two pennies you've taken from my pocket.

Eventually if everyone does this, the board would have to become a subscription-based service, or shut down alltogether. The new software has a feature to only let people in who have paid a monthly fee, but it's such a bother I'd probably just close the place down.

• 2 weeks later...

It used to be that when you clicked on a topic, you'd see all the posts at once by scrolling down. Now you have to click on each post within a thread -- a lot more trouble to read an entire thread. Just wondering why that changed?

I just found this forum recently but love it!

Archived