Near Northside

Dobiestud

Any insight of whats going on in the Near Northside part of town? (area just north of downtown, with 45 to the west and 59/Jensen to the east) We have not heard much about this area, although I've seen limited renovations going on, not much new other than a few small townhouse developments, and toward the 59/Jensen side, as well located as it is to downtown, I haven't seen a single project of any sort.

There is talk of redoing the Elysian bridge going from downtown to this area also, and possibly linking that to Hardy toll road. Any thoughts on all this or any word of what new projects are planned, and even maybe your vision for this area's future?

The Elysian bridge will be torn down and rebuilt. The Hardy Toll road may be part of the final bridge.

I think gentrification will get moving in this area soon.

• 1 year later...
Any insight of whats going on in the Near Northside part of town? (area just north of downtown, with 45 to the west and 59/Jensen to the east) We have not heard much about this area, although I've seen limited renovations going on, not much new other than a few small townhouse developments, and toward the 59/Jensen side, as well located as it is to downtown, I haven't seen a single project of any sort.

There is talk of redoing the Elysian bridge going from downtown to this area also, and possibly linking that to Hardy toll road. Any thoughts on all this or any word of what new projects are planned, and even maybe your vision for this area's future?

I would encourage any and everyone who has an interest in saving beautiful old homes to pass through. The area has been shunned as everyone is always focused on Heights. Drive up North Main turn right where you will see the Papa Burger restauraunt on the right and start checking out the neat old houses. You can tell they are turn of the century homes. People with vision can see that they just need to be painted, remodeled and better yet moved. There are some along Quitman that are 2 story and in the Queen Anne style. You can still see many of the gingerbread details. I get so tempted to go ask the tenants if I can run up to the attic and take the beautiful leaded glass windows that have fallen inside over the years. The people are elderly or simply cannot afford to refurbish these gems. How can Houston not know what is right under their noses??? Someone please save these works of art before they dissappear too.

cp-hse1.jpg

Just announced this morning of the Rail expanding to near Northside all the way to Northline Mall area. It was bound to happen.

What is surprising is that there is opposition to the expansion from the local town folk. In all honesty, majority of this neighborhood has gone to pot over the last several decades. It was on the decline since I can recall as a child and I only passed through on occasion. Most of the original Houstonians have either fled, passed away or are fixed-income elderly and can't afford to move. Mostly newly arrived immigrants have saturated this neighborhood since early 70's. Schools are some of the most troubled and have high drop out rates. I could go on. Actually demolishing most of the old buildings (not homes) would be the best thing that could ever happen to this area. This is probably the only glimmer of hope for the near Northside. Finally start mowing down all those low down dives (bars) that have given the place such a bad reputation. Locals would have to agree. This is a helping hand being extended to you - grab it!

is the North Line going to BRT for a while? Wasn't that the original plan?

The original plan was LRT but then funding shortfalls made METRO reevaluate their plan and recommend guided rapid transit (GRT). At least that 's the term they've been using the last month instead of BRT.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems silly but any and everyone I know is rushing over to the Poppa Burger hamburger place on Main st to get their last taste's/memories before its torn down.

The real irony is all the busiest and most popular establishments that were all around it vanished with time and the hamburger joint stuck it out all these decades. It has survived the ravages of the urban decline and hardcore patrons from nearby bars and dancehalls.

Its one of the only places left that still has its original old style fast food look. In the inner city that is. We are going to really miss having to step over winos as we walk up to the order window. No more sticky bubblegum to step on as we sit at the outdoor tables. No bullets to dodge, pidgeons sitting on table as we eat our grub. Now I'm depressed. :(

• 1 month later...
Seems silly but any and everyone I know is rushing over to the Poppa Burger hamburger place on Main st to get their last taste's/memories before its torn down.

The real irony is all the busiest and most popular establishments that were all around it vanished with time and the hamburger joint stuck it out all these decades. It has survived the ravages of the urban decline and hardcore patrons from nearby bars and dancehalls.

Its one of the only places left that still has its original old style fast food look. In the inner city that is. We are going to really miss having to step over winos as we walk up to the order window. No more sticky bubblegum to step on as we sit at the outdoor tables. No bullets to dodge, pidgeons sitting on table as we eat our grub. Now I'm depressed. :(

Ironically enough, I was snapping photos of the place the other day before metro bulldozes; then this...

Today's Chronicle

A man died after being shot during a parking lot argument at Poppa Burger in the 1600 block of North Main late Tuesday, police said.

Police had no witnesses in the 11 p.m. shooting but people in the area said they heard several shots before the man was found wounded in the parking lot, police reported. The man was struck at least once in the upper left part of his back.

The man, whose name was withheld pending an autopsy by the Harris County medical examiner's office, was pronounced dead at Ben Taub General Hospital.

Archived