New Houston Police Uniforms

Reefmonkey

Interesting comment, considering your logo.

Just sayin'. :)

Not really. Acknowledging the logical conclusion that a person who would commit numerous crimes in the future can no longer do so if dead, does not lead to me advocating the killing of criminals. A consequence of living in a free society is that some members of that society will use that freedom to take advantage of others. We accept that consequence in order to be free ourselves. There are numerous examples of low crime nations ruled by oppressive governments. Most of us would rather not make the trade.

Would you?

Whatever benefits are received by the death of a criminal are far outweighed by the loss of order through anarchy. And, as power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, allowing the unfettered killing of civilians by government agents will quickly turn into genocide.

That's a slippery slope and a fairly loose definition of the term, 'genocide'. If I were so inclined to play my words so fast and so loose, I could probably figure out a way to say the same thing about Heights historic districts or the property tax appeal process.

Bullsheet. Police are killing civilians in record numbers, but cop deaths are at near historic low rates. In 2011, 68 cops were shot dead. In contrast, cops killed 54 civilians in Los Angeles County ALONE. Nationwide, it is in the hundreds, possibly thousands. We don't know an exact number, since the police curiously do not keep a record of the people they kill.

Actions have consequences. When police shoot at civilians, some of them will shoot back. Further, the dramatic rise in drug war SWAT raids increases the chance for violence. Police should look at their own escalation of violence when looking for the cause of last year's increase in deaths. And you should quit falling for their propaganda.

By the way, in 2008, 40 officers died by gunfire, the LOWEST number in over 50 years. Homicide rates are also at their lowest rates in 50 years. Your statement is a fabrication.

Hogwash. If the civilians would not get into trouble in the first place they might not be dead now. If the civilians would just shut up and show the officer their hands (like the one illegal who refused to do so just recently) then they would likely not be dead today. If by civilians you mean criminals, then Im not sure I see a problem.

Of those 54 in LA... how many pointed a gun at the officer? How may charged or fought with the officer? I'm quite certain the 54 were not just randomly walking down the street minding their own business. Please.

As for the drug was SWAT raids... don't do drugs.

1. How practical are flipflops for walking long distances through airport terminals?

Interestingly I'm in my mid 30s as well.

Being that I made a conscious decision years ago to only wear flip flops unless I am at work, or otherwise have to dress up (wedding, funeral, club, nice dinner, etc) I feel I have an experienced opinion on this subject.

I've walked all over Europe (sometimes up to 20 miles a day) been on many hiking trips, I even wear them when I'm all bundled up in cold weather gear and the worst I've had to put up with is dirty toes. With that in mind, flip flops are very practical, they're light, if your feet get wet, they dry off quickly, there's plenty of other benefits.

I don't believe I'm going to tackle Everest in flip flops, but being able to slip off the flip flops on a 3 hour, or longer flight (and slip them back on for a trip to the lavatory), it's very nice. Granted, if you're squeamish about germs, the 15 feet you have to walk without shoes at security will be agony, but I ate plenty of dirt when I was a kid, so I'm pretty sure I'm okay.

On the subject at hand, a polo and some khakis should be good, I'm certainly not a fan of them wearing military styled gear. I've been to places where cops dress like that, and wouldn't like it to be that way here.

On the subject at hand, a polo and some khakis should be good, I'm certainly not a fan of them wearing military styled gear. I've been to places where cops dress like that, and wouldn't like it to be that way here.

I'm not sure having police look like waiters at TGI Fridays is a good idea either.

No kidding. It is not that hard to have a uniform that commands respect, but that does not invoke images of an occupying military force. Pants and shirts can be made of a comfortable fabric that allows athletic movement without being designed as military fatigues. Shoes can have rubber soles without being paratrooper boots. The insinuation that all cops do all day is chase criminals is a fallacy. In fact, it is not that common, and if cops really are that concerned about chasing thugs, they should lose the 20 pound belt around their waist. A lot of them probably need to get in shape, as well.

This push toward military style uniforms comes largely from younger officers. It raises concerns what kind of officer the police departments are recruiting when so many new officers seem to forget that we have a civilian police force. I hope that theose in charge of making these decisions can...and have...read the US Constitution.

This push toward military style uniforms comes largely from younger officers. It raises concerns what kind of officer the police departments are recruiting when so many new officers seem to forget that we have a civilian police force.

Cap'n Crunch coined a term for this: tacticool. Being a gun nut, he (and sometimes me) spends a lot of time at gun shows, stores, ranges, and mingles with a lot of law enforement. The younger the guy, the more it is about the gear, and looking the part. I can't help but contextualize it within a couple decades worth of ultra-violent male gaming culture. Young thugs ramp up their image and voilence, young cops are the flip side of the same coin.

Same thing with overzealous citizens. Go the Arms Room in League City--it's hard not to giggle at the chubby young dads with their little mouth rugs, decked out in crazy technical gear like they're auditioning for The Expendables III.

This push toward military style uniforms comes largely from younger officers. It raises concerns what kind of officer the police departments are recruiting when so many new officers seem to forget that we have a civilian police force.

Bingo.

Archived