Data Center In The Woodlands

editor

datacenterrendering.jpg

BisNow has a blurb about a new data center being built in The Woodlands:

The Woodlands is also a great spot because it’s outside of the 500-year floodplain and more than 75 miles from the Gulf Coast.

The part that caught my eye, though, was that it's being built to "Miami-Dade County" building code standards. Does Miami have stronger building codes than Houston? Should it?

Usually nobody announces building new DCs... big security issues...

Really? I see new data center announcements all the time. Facebook, Apple, Google, and others do it frequently. Even Yelp, with its fancy flywheel isolation platform on the roof.

Maybe it's just unusual to announce in Texas. I'm more in tune with what's going on in Oregon and Washington state where every little town with a waterfall is throwing subsidies at different dot-com companies to build their data centers there. Everyone gets "green" credits because the centers can use natural cooling most of the year, and hydro power. The towns make these announcements when the dot-coms don't because it's an economic stimulus thing.

Really? I see new data center announcements all the time. Facebook, Apple, Google, and others do it frequently. Even Yelp, with its fancy flywheel isolation platform on the roof.

Maybe it's just unusual to announce in Texas. I'm more in tune with what's going on in Oregon and Washington state where every little town with a waterfall is throwing subsidies at different dot-com companies to build their data centers there. Everyone gets "green" credits because the centers can use natural cooling most of the year, and hydro power. The towns make these announcements when the dot-coms don't because it's an economic stimulus thing.

Interesting. I've worked in several DCs over the past 12 years and it was always a hush-hush affair.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Data Center In The Woodlands

Archived