I didn't see a topic about this, but John Chase died on March 29th. He designed buildings worldwide, but locally, he designed a few buildings at TSU including the Law School, Student Center, and MLK Center, and a few houses, including his own, in the Riverside Terrace area. Some of you may remember him being interviewed and seeing the interior of his MCM home in "This is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale."

Here's his obit: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=156786037

The only mention of Mr. Chase's passing I saw in the media was in the weekly on-line AIA Houston Chapter newsletter from last week. I don't watch much local news but I do catch some and I don't recall hearing anything on TV or radio. This is a pity because John Chase's career was important in many ways.

When I started my first real architecture job about 20 years ago my route home each afternoon would take me past his office on Southmore Street. I was aware of some of his past projects and his standing as a pioneer African-American architect in the area. I often wondered as i waited at the light in front of that office what was "on the boards" at the time.

I did identify his house in Riverside Terrace and think it is an great example of Mid-century Modern architecture

The only mention of Mr. Chase's passing I saw in the media was in the weekly on-line AIA Houston Chapter newsletter from last week. I don't watch much local news but I do catch some and I don't recall hearing anything on TV or radio. This is a pity because John Chase's career was important in many ways.

The Chronicle's Lisa Gray covered Mr. Chase's life and career with a prominently-placed article in the City & State section a couple of days after he passed:

http://www.chron.com/default/article/John-Chase-one-of-UT-s-first-black-students-dies-3450278.php

The Chronicle's Lisa Gray covered Mr. Chase's life and career with a prominently-placed article in the City & State section a couple of days after he passed:

http://www.chron.com...ies-3450278.php

Great article. Thanks for the link, mkultra. Lisa Gray is a long-time Chronicle reporter and did a nice job on this tribute. Like I stated earlier, I don't watch TV news often so I wonder if any of the local stations even mentioned Mr. Chase's passing. They might have but I just missed it.

When I usually watch it is the 10:00pm edition and they always seem to start off the the newscast with the murder and domestic violence scorecard. While I feel sympathy for the victims and their families, that type of reporting is just blatant sensationalism that is of no benefit to the average viewer. Well, that's a subject for a different thread.

Perhaps KTSU will put together a program with interviews of those who knew John Chase best. Though he lectures at Rice and UofH, it would be great if Stephen Fox could contribute his perspective. That would be very interesting.

Lisa Gray is a long-time Chronicle reporter and did a nice job on this tribute.

She is a HAIF member as well but hasn't posted here in a while. And as long as she's been at the Chron, I still remember her tenure as the editor of the Rice Thresher. :)

Archived