Walking Under 610 Fwy.

Nick_G

The number apartments going up on the other side of 610 has recently increased, the Gables Post Oak development is a prime example.

In an effort to encourage pedestrian traffic (and curb car congestion) in Uptown I am looking to gather ways to make walking under the 610 overpass more inviting, especially at night.

Thought about blue lights similar to Buffalo Bayou Park.

Also thought about replacing some of the pavers with paths of opaque under-lit stones.

I would like this to be more than just a discussion, once we have a good list I plan on compiling it and sending it in to the Uptown Houston District Board of Directors.

Edited by Nick_G

Hire actors in professional-seeming costumes to walk repeatedly under the freeway. Other people will walk when they feel that it is socially appropriate to walk (even across a Wal-Mart parking lot in the blazing summer heat). Uppity people, and uppity white people in particular, must feel comfortable with the ambiance and with being seen under a freeway or there's just no point in a location like this.

Are freeway underpasses in other cities more pedestrian friendly than ours? Is Houston's lack of pedestrian friendly freeway overpasses impeding our attractiveness as a tourist destination? It seems to me that if you improve the look of freeway underpasses it would attract those dirty stinky homeless people that follow you and your girlfriend telling stories.

Are freeway underpasses in other cities more pedestrian friendly than ours? Is Houston's lack of pedestrian friendly freeway overpasses impeding our attractiveness as a tourist destination? It seems to me that if you improve the look of freeway underpasses it would attract those dirty stinky homeless people that follow you and your girlfriend telling stories.

Everything you have said is nonsense. If other cities were doing something I would not be asking our community for ideas. I am looking for Houston to innovate not to follow.

• The title was changed to Walking Under 610 Fwy.