Seven Lakes High School At 9251 South Fry Rd.

VicMan

SLHS FACTS:

615, 000 square feet Natatorium

Football/Soccer fields

Baseball fields

Softball fields

Track

9 Tennis courts

Swimming pool/diving

4 gymnasiums

Weight lifting room

1 wrestling room

16 computer labs

3 computers per classroom

Library with 30 computers

Wireless technology

Performing Arts Center

Black Box Theatre

2 dark rooms

21 science labs

5 science prep areas

4 art labs with courtyard

Ag barn at the KISD Agriculture facility

Band, orchestra, choir rehearsal spaces

see what happens when a school district spends there money more wisely. Inner city school in Houston have no excuse. HISD needs to clean up its adminstration and wasteful spending. Schools need to drop all this special course and get back to the basics. Money can be spent on learning the three R's versus silly courses like diversity and tolerance training.

I mean, ours kids won't read or do math, but they definitely know how not to offend someone because they had diverty and tolerance courses.

"see what happens when a school district spends there money more wisely. Inner city school in Houston have no excuse. HISD needs to clean up its adminstration and wasteful spending. Schools need to drop all this special course and get back to the basics. Money can be spent on learning the three R's versus silly courses like diversity and tolerance training.

I mean, ours kids won't read or do math, but they definitely know how not to offend someone because they had diverty and tolerance courses. "

What wasteful spending are you talking about?

"Money can be spent on learning the three R's versus silly courses like diversity and tolerance training. "

Those courses don't exist at my school, and I doubt they exist at schools like Lamar and Bellaire...

And yes, HISD is building brand new schools too. Four new HISD elementary schools will open this school year (while five closed after last year).

Then why do people complain that HISD doesn't have enough money for schools. I guess maybe they are turning around.

I didn't really mean to be too hard on HISD. I just wish higher standards would held for these schools. Children in school don't need coddling. They need to understand basics and learn that school is and should be work.

Another reason why living in the burbs is an excellent choice for families. Katy

schools are superb. Other pluses out here in Katy- there's virtually no traffic and the streets are well maintained, housing is affordable, you can walk the streets at night and feel completely safe, there is tons of parkland, and you are less than 3 hours away from either Austin or San Antonio. And when the Westpark Tollway is finished later this year, Katy area residents will have their own "private" freeway, with a 20 minute drive from the Grand Parkway to the Galleria area. Not to mention the expanded Katy Freeway when it's finished.

But hey,every neighborhood has it's attributes. We just get tired of the bashing that living in the suburbs gets from some people inside the loop.

see what happens when a school district spends there money more wisely.  Inner city school in Houston have no excuse.  HISD needs to clean up its adminstration and wasteful spending.  Schools need to drop all this special course and get back to the basics.  Money can be spent on learning the three R's versus silly courses like diversity and tolerance training. 

I mean, ours kids won't read or do math, but they definitely know how not to offend someone because they had diverty and tolerance courses.

Good post.

It doesn't necessarily prove the efficiencies of Katy ISD because the money to build this new school was probably approved by voters several years ago. That it is a new system is an advantage that Katy has over HISD because new bonds don't tend to go over well in the city. HISD is also filled with aging and overcrowded facilities and yet it is one of the fastest-growing school districts in the region. I'm sure that in a few years Katy will too start having its growing pains.

Although I don't think HISD is the model of efficient spending, it is not fair to compare the two districts. HISD is massive. Katy has what 6-8 high schools?

Plus Katy is growing at a must faster rate than HISD, those new schools are completely necessary. Katy can get away spending much more per student than HISD can.

All and all though, I would want my kids to go to KISD.

Katy has the following high schools:

* Katy

* Mayde Creek

* Cinco Ranch

* Morton Ranch

* Seven Lakes

* Katy Taylor

* An alternative school

So yes, Katy has seven high schools.

If I remained in Houston, I would be choosy in determining which HISD schools I would want my kid to go to, as I know that HISD has some really good schools.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Katy has the following high schools:

* Katy

* Mayde Creek

* Cinco Ranch

* Morton Ranch

* Seven Lakes

* Katy Taylor

* An alternative school

So yes, Katy has seven high schools.

If I remained in Houston, I would be choosy in determining which HISD schools I would want my kid to go to, as I know that HISD has some really good schools.

I think there might be an eigth one planned soon in far northern Katy where Bridgelands will be built. Morton Ranch is already at capacity and going to exceed it next year. Not sure about Mayde Creek, and Katy, though. There is a lot of housing going on in that far north section and a new high school would help and the crowded Katy and Morton Ranch High Schools.

Also, Cinco ranch, Morton Ranch, and Seven Lakes are exact copies of each other with just a different elevation and school colors.

Edited by Trae

• 1 month later...
Katy student rushed to hospital with gunshot wound

A teenager with a gunshot wound was rushed by Life Flight helicopter from Seven Lakes High School in the Katy Independent School District shortly after noon today, police said.

SLHS.jpg

The school was placed on lockdown following the 12:05 p.m. incident, and there were no plans to release students early.

More: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4265518.html

Edited by Trae

This to add to a recent string of school shootings. I can only bet something big in government is coming to correct this and enforce new laws.

Maybe mandatory metal detectors and clear backpacks at all highschools.

Metal detectors and clear backpacks would only help if we knw for sure no one would shoot around the school, too. It's a sad and dangerous situation when a person decides to take their mental fustrations out on a place meant to help the community like school. Not sure if these are 100% preventable, yo...

It is unfortunate that he killed himself, but atleast he didn't go on a shooting spree. That would ruin the name of Seven Lakes and make national news. I know some kids that would do that.

I hope you are kidding about this. If you know some kids that WOULD do that, what is it that YOU plan on doing to insure that it DOESN'T happen Trae ? That is information that you should NOT keep to yourself Trae, there are ways to alert someone without these types of people finding out to extract revenge on you. I know it isn't COOL to rat, but this isn't ratting, if people could be in serious possibility of harm. If you have this type of info. it is like harboring terrorists, you wouldn't do that now would you ? :huh:

My son is a football player @ Seven Lakes. He and his teammates were at practice and heard the gun shots. Current news says a note was found at the scene.

The football team was taken to the locker room until the lock down was lifted.

The trainers went over and tried using the AED and CPR.

My son's description of him included that he didn't have many friends.

VERY SAD :(

I hope you are kidding about this. If you know some kids that WOULD do that, what is it that YOU plan on doing to insure that it DOESN'T happen Trae ? That is information that you should NOT keep to yourself Trae, there are ways to alert someone without these types of people finding out to extract revenge on you. I know it isn't COOL to rat, but this isn't ratting, if people could be in serious possibility of harm. If you have this type of info. it is like harboring terrorists, you wouldn't do that now would you ? :huh:

These people aren't friends with me, but I hear them in class in they act crazy and keep saying people that they want to kill. I hope they don't come to school with a gun and make a Columbine at 99 and Cinco Ranch BLVD. I know some skin heads who hate it that black people (like me) are at Cinco and want it to be cleaned out. I don't think they will come to school and kill us, but who does know.