Another Great Houston Memory Web Site

editor

Welcome to HAIF, Tana. Loved your site. You've pulled together a lot of stuff from many sources and tied it all together with a nice narrative. I particularly appreciated that you documented your sources; so many people just take what they want from the work of others and ignore giving credit where it's due.

I've added a link to your site to my History Links section.

Here's a little more on that flagpole sitting stunt at Gulfgate in 1957.

I'm glad Tanya is now a member and that she posted her new website. She had previously had her stuff on an old Westbury High School website. I've been meaning to compliment her on her new site ever since she sent me an email about it a few weeks ago. It really is one of the best Houston historical sites. Way to go Tanya. You found the right audience here.

Welcome to HAIF, Tana. Loved your site. You've pulled together a lot of stuff from many sources and tied it all together with a nice narrative. I particularly appreciated that you documented your sources; so many people just take what they want from the work of others and ignore giving credit where it's due.

I've added a link to your site to my History Links section.

Here's a little more on that flagpole sitting stunt at Gulfgate in 1957.

Thank you very much for the additional info on the flagpole stunt in '57. I already loved your blog, but missed that part I guess.

Tana

• 4 weeks later...

As a longtime, but now former, Houston resident, I also want to thank Tana for putting up such a great website about Houston's history. Her photos really take me back to a time when Houston was a great and fun place to live and work.

Tana: Your website looks very professional, and I think you could create websites for a living, if you're not already doing that.

Those old shots of the Gulf Freeway reminded me of a wonderful E-Book a Houston writer did a few years ago on the history of Houston's Freeways.

It's a well written and very informative story with a multitude of fascinating photos of the city before, during and after the freeway system was constructed. If for no other reason, it's worth checking out just for the photos, because most of us have probably never seen them before. They show what different areas of the city looked like in those days, from the ground and in aerial shots.

Here's a link to that E-book. http://www.houstonfr....com/ebook.aspx

Somewhere down in the chapter on The Loops, you will find a dramatic and terrifying photo of a cloud of ammonia gas rising over the SW Fwy-West Loop interchange, taken only moments after that ammonia truck crashed there back in the 1970s.

Correction: I shouldn't have said "after". There will never be an "after" for Houston freeway construction.

Edited by FilioScotia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

WOW! Thank you so much for the encouraging comments. And I am very glad that many of you are seeing the site. I really love doing it and love even more hearing from people who have seen it.

It is ongoing. My life's work some days!!!!!

Tana

I remember well the Flag pole stunt at Gulfgate. I was but a teen at the time. I heard about it on KILT and my mom and I loaded up and drove out to Gulfgate to see what it was all about. When we got there they were getting ready to send up a bucket with some food in it to Don Keys. He was to stay atop of the flag pole until KILT was number one in Houston. I believe as mentioned KNUZ was at the time. We lived on Sul Ross in the Montrose area and both KILT and KNUZ was very close to where we lived. 

• The title was changed to Another Great Houston Memory Web Site