Sweeney, Coombs, And Fredericks Building At 301 Main St.

ricco67

It didn't really dawn on me to look for a historical marker or anything on this building and the only thing I've found is this: http://www.panoramio.../photo/35794816

Here is the photo I took of it. It's a good looking building, but I need a better perspective on it. Those damned wires kept getting in the way. DSC04452.JPG

• Like 1

Burgheim's Drug Store on the bottom floor for years and years. Used to have a great lunch counter.

An artist named Steve Beselman, who died in the late eighties, did a pencil drawing of this. He also did the Cotton Exchange Building, Southern Pacific Building, and many others. I remember watching him as he sat on the curb of Travis and Franklin while he did the Cotton Exchange Bldg.

Edited by little frau

Burgheim's Drug Store on the bottom floor for years and years. Used to have a great lunch counter.

An artist named Steve Beselman, who died in the late eighties, did a pencil drawing of this. He also did the Cotton Exchange Building, Southern Pacific Building, and many others. I remember watching him as he sat on the curb of Travis and Franklin while he did the Cotton Exchange Bldg.

I think Beselman's drawing of that building, and others drawings including the Cotton Exchange Building drawing, are now housed at UHD.

Edited by JLWM8609

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building. Main @ Congress

This late-Victorian commercial building with a 3-story corner turret and Eastlake decorative elements was designed by George E. Dickey in 1889. Evidence indicates that the 1889 construction may have been a renovation of an 1861 structure built by William A. Van Alstyne and purchased in 1882 by John Jasper Sweeney and Edward L. Coombs. Gus Fredericks joined the Sweeney and Coombs Jewelry firm before 1889.

This building is in the National Register of Historic Places

post-11672-0-23996900-1354141120_thumb.j

Edited by i_am_jim
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Sweeney, Coombs, and Fredericks Building

This one building, more than any other, crystallized efforts to preserve the Main Street/Market Square Historic District.
It's one of the very very few Victorian structures in the Bayou City. built in 1889 and capped with a corner turret, was designed by George Dickey as the home of a jewelry firm.

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to What Is This building?
  • The title was changed to Sweeney, Coombs, And Fredericks Building At 301 Main St.