Mid-century Modern Condos

rps324

I was in some older condos on Memorial, inside the loop, called Hillside. These things have some incredible mid-century modern details and floorplans. Has anybody else seen these or know anybody who lives in them? They look kind of rough on the outside, but inside they have these split-level floorplans, high exposed beam celings, copper fireplaces, sunken tubs and other cool retro features. It seems kind of rare to get that kind of architecture in a reasonably priced condo.

RPS - I've had my eye on these for a couple of years. They are VERY cool, one was for sale not too long ago that had a floating staircase (like the Brady Bunch house) and was tri-level.

I'm 99.9% sure these were originally upscale apartments that were converted to condos, as I don't think Houston actually built from-new condos until the late 60's-early 70's.

If I was in the market for a condo I would buy one of these in a heartbeat, as they're in a great location. But, some of the units look pretty small. Plus, if you get an upper unit, with the vaulted ceiling and no attic, you're going to have some hellacious A/C bills - as far as I can tell these are not all bills paid.

I don't know how the condo fees are, but it's a small complex, and from what my realtor told me, they have a first right of refusal clause in their condo rules, i.e they have to approve you to buy. This likely means they have a very stable resident base.

Those look groovy and still fairly original including the landscading. But the stove over the dishwasher seems strange.

There is almost a whole block of complexes like this near the Galleria on Del Monte at Sage. Lars Bang designed the complex on the corner in 1960. It has been altered many times, the latest included removal of vinyl siding in favor of Hardi-plank. Some river rock still remains. The other complexes are mostly in excellent original condition. One has green terrazzo panels trimming the exterior walls. Another has a stairway where the treads are flat prongs that protrude from a brick side wall. There are some very mod pools including some circular shapes. The deep area is in the center in a round pool.

I was in the one that is available now, the pictures don't do it justice. It has a half-staircase that goes up to the two bedrooms and the high ceilings in the living area.

I was in one a while back that was huge. There was a separate unit that supposedly was once part of it underneath it tucked into the hill. It had a weird back door that opened up into one of the laundry rooms. Very quirky layout, but I would of loved to have it.

• 2 years later...
Here's the only current listing there, check out the pics (most if not all have fireplaces):

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...mp;backButton=Y

Clicking on the link gets the following message:

Error: 404/File Not Found

Return to Previous Page | Return to HAR.com Home Page

If you need technical assistance, please contact HAR Support.

Can someone provide a link that brings up the listing?

Clicking on the link gets the following message:

Error: 404/File Not Found

Return to Previous Page | Return to HAR.com Home Page

If you need technical assistance, please contact HAR Support.

Can someone provide a link that brings up the listing?

That listing is old and has gone away, so there is no link anymore.

Congrats on your purchase. That is a very unique place!

Here is one currently for sale.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I used to live in Park Memorial Condos, next door to Hillside. My unit was in the last row, so it overlooked Hillside. They looked rough from the outside, but the one time I went inside one, it was very interesting. Prices are cheap, considering the central location.

Archived