"pass Through" Toll Program

kjb434

This is a memo that I just received at work by email. The information is public, so it's not a problem for me to post:

To All PATE Employees:

We are excited to announce today, that Montgomery County has approved the contract for Pate Engineers, Inc. to serve as Program Manager for the Montgomery County Transportation Pass-Through Toll Program. This program is the first in Texas to utilize the

This is a memo that I just received at work by email. The information is public, so it's not a problem for me to post:

To All PATE Employees:

We are excited to announce today, that Montgomery County has approved the contract for Pate Engineers, Inc. to serve as Program Manager for the Montgomery County Transportation Pass-Through Toll Program. This program is the first in Texas to utilize the

I thought I did.

Simply put, the driver will not pay to drive on the new and improved facilities.

What would happen it the county will finance the projects, then the state will pay back at a certain rate based on usuage. This way, only the roads that need to be built will be built. If people don't use the new facility, then the county will be hit with the loss. This will save the state taxpayer money and will allow much need projects to be built.

The concept was approved since most tax dollars in the state transportation budget go to the major cities and the more rural counties or counties that are seeing a population expansion don't get much improvements.

Please explain to a lay person what a "pass through" toll means.

Thanks

Ummm.. He did:

"..The project is a form a toll road where users don't pay. The county will issue bonds for the design and construction of the existing and some new road facilities. Traffic counts will be taken on the facilities and TxDOT will pay back the county for the usage. Eventually the bonds will retire and the road will be free to the public. "

The concept allows TxDOT to facilitate more roads without having to put forth the investment.  If the county builds a facility that does not have high usage, then they will get hit with the costs.

This will be the first trial in the concept.

It may be the first, but I seem to recall at least one more pass-through program authorized and there is a batch of three up for approval this month, two of which look quite large.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/transcom/agendas/0605-draft.htm

Which gets me to thinking: all these pass-through tolling programs are potentially a big future financial liability to TxDOT. I'm just wondering where they intend to get the revenue for these future liabilities. After all, the fuel tax is a diminishing asset as long as the legislature allows it to be wiped out by inflation. My (bad) gut feeling says TxDOT plans to get revenue with more tolls elsewhere. Or, a more positive way of paying would be for the legislature to realize that the fuel tax needs to keep up with inflation. I'm just seeing TxDOT heaping on more financial risk with these gimmicks rather than paying for needed projects fair-and-square, like was done before Perry and chief toll henchman Ric Williamson took charge.

I'm also thinking that it will take years to pay off these roads. The County will be incharge of them until they are paid off. TxDOT will not take on these roads either if they are not in an acceptable condition either.

About the water pump, she never mentioned what section of the Woodlands she is in. It may be an LJA design. Either way, it's not my area of specialty.

Archived