reputable home builder

jo pascuall

I have been reading various threads on builder horror stories.

I currently own a condo, but I am looking at buying a new home in the next year. I have been driving through neighborhoods on Sundays and checking out open houses. Is there a builder you guys recommend? I would like to check out a few of their homes as they are being built, so I know what to expect.

Sorry if this topic has been covered, I tried the search tool but there was not a recent thread about this.

anyone? from other threads, i am guessing to stay away from kb and lovett?

Perry Homes is OK.

Good: They get the basics right. Good foundations, lots graded correctly, good roof and good mechanicals. Really had no post move-in issues to speak of.

Bad: Nothing really other than they skimp on the finishes. It keeps the price down. Couldn't have afforded our house otherwise.

Ugly: Bob Perry's politics. But hey, I'm pragmatic. I'd have bought a house from Beelzebub if he was selling something affordable in the Heights.

Edited by west20th

Usually if the builder is bad, you can find plenty of disgruntled home owners online talking about them. I'm not really that impressed with most of today's low-end builders. The thing I hate the most are the neighborhoods where all the homes look the same. I realize that they can save lots of money but I like the neighborhoods with custom built homes. The only problem is most of the builders are out of my budget. I'll probably end up buying an older home instead when I move.

• 10 months later...

My husband and I are buying a Lovett Homes. We searched reviews and did not see enough negative reviews to deter us from not buying.

This will be our last and only home we are buying from Lovett. The house just started with the foundation as of a few weeks. Which, we were told it was going to start 2 months ago from the Sales Rep, Lauren S. At the time of signing the contract, Lauren never mentioned to us that they did not have a permit to start on our unit. She told us a date of when our unit was going to be built. Of course we believed her. She finally told us that they did not have a permit and that the City of Houston was at fault. "Buyers beware of their very protective contract." I have e-mails if "Pro-Lovett" wants to see them of the many dates that Lauran gave us. If this is the tactic that Lovett Homes, the owner Frank Liu trained his sales team to use in order to capture and jail clients into buying their property. It is one egregisous method. Clients may not speak out about major issues like this because their contract holds them against their will. So they have to follow through and purchase the home.

Now we are stuck with their contract and a huge non-refundable deposit that we cannot get back.

My husband and I understand that Builders have to protect themselves from certain variables that they cannot control, weather, City departments, inspectors, etc so that clients will not back out of their contract. But to lie and mis-inform and not allowed clients to get out of the situation that they created because of their greed. If Lauren told my husand and I from day one that they did not have a permit and we still sign than I would not be on this forum telling my story.

Let's hope the house will turn out beautiful and I will not have to tell another horrific story about Lovett Homes.

I have been reading various threads on builder horror stories.

I currently own a condo, but I am looking at buying a new home in the next year. I have been driving through neighborhoods on Sundays and checking out open houses. Is there a builder you guys recommend? I would like to check out a few of their homes as they are being built, so I know what to expect.

Sorry if this topic has been covered, I tried the search tool but there was not a recent thread about this.

My husband and I are buying a Lovett Homes. We searched reviews and did not see enough negative reviews to deter us from not buying.

This will be our last and only home we are buying from Lovett. The house just started with the foundation as of a few weeks. Which, we were told it was going to start 2 months ago from the Sales Rep, Lauren S. At the time of signing the contract, Lauren never mentioned to us that they did not have a permit to start on our unit. She told us a date of when our unit was going to be built. Of course we believed her. She finally told us that they did not have a permit and that the City of Houston was at fault. "Buyers beware of their very protective contract." I have e-mails if "Pro-Lovett" wants to see them of the many dates that Lauran gave us. If this is the tactic that Lovett Homes, the owner Frank Liu trained his sales team to use in order to capture and jail clients into buying their property. It is one egregisous method. Clients may not speak out about major issues like this because their contract holds them against their will. So they have to follow through and purchase the home.

Now we are stuck with their contract and a huge non-refundable deposit that we cannot get back.

My husband and I understand that Builders have to protect themselves from certain variables that they cannot control, weather, City departments, inspectors, etc so that clients will not back out of their contract. But to lie and mis-inform and not allowed clients to get out of the situation that they created because of their greed. If Lauren told my husand and I from day one that they did not have a permit and we still sign than I would not be on this forum telling my story.

Let's hope the house will turn out beautiful and I will not have to tell another horrific story about Lovett Homes.

Good luck. Where will your home be built?

• 3 weeks later...