The Neighborhoods of Houston

I went to Houston yesterday and today, and was surprised at the unique diversity of neighborhoods, thanks to many having unique street signs.

Upper Kirby - Neat, but a bit crowded. Kirby @ US-59 was under construction. Rice Village has cool shops, proximity to Museum District has nice-ish homes and shaded streets. (Rice Village is is Upper Kirby, isn't it?)

Montrose - Didn't seem too different from Upper Kirby, really. Saw the Montrose Kroger (what a mess), ate at Katz's Deli (cheesecake shake + Cel-Ray!)

Downtown - There on the weekends. Nothing there except overpriced restaurants, pigeons, the castrated mess that was once Foley's... (because it was a weekend, so the tunnels were closed sad.gif) It was kind of seedy, too, at least the part I saw.

Midtown - Neat. Scores points for the old Sears (restore it as art deco before Sears goes away forever!), Fiesta, etc. Saw some mid-rise townhomes, but not really the bars from the "party atmosphere" I've heard about.

Uptown - The classy stoplight presentation never gets old to me. Galleria was better than last time, I think, but Borders is closing.

Fifth Ward - Interesting! Passed there on the way to the ports. Nice wide avenues, though.

Texas Medical Center - The hospitals there were impressive, but it kind of seemed like Midtown (with hospitals!)

Port of Houston - Took the boat tour. Lots of railroads, which was neat. Mostly a dry place, and all "restaurants" looked pretty iffy at best. (but is it a neighborhood?)

Third Ward - This was another unique look at Houston. Very old houses, and an aggravating gauntlet of stoplights. Not a place to be at night.

Memorial - Whoa, the skywalk is built from Memorial City Mall. Nice. Also, getting onto I-10 West from Gessner is difficult, because it traps you into going on the Beltway. Boo!

Northwest Houston - This neighborhood (I think its a neighborhood) is the one I see every time, going through 290 en route to Houston. Northwest Mall seems to be getting desperate (even though the Macy's STILL hasn't taken down its sign, even though its all but obvious it's gone for good)

Museum District - Didn't go through it this time, but I've noticed the houses seem to be nice and fancy. As the economy has warmed up (sorta), the "Stop Ashby High Rise" signs are back in full force. Maryland Manor is still standing though, so be whether it the economy and the developer's funds, or the neighbor's signs (and more importantly, their money), the tower is still in limbo.

It was certainly an interesting tour de force, but now my interest in piqued in learning about the rest of Houston's neighborhoods (not the suburbs and the "inner cities"): they definitely have a sense of character for each one.

Wikipedia has a good overview of the neighborhoods (the more comprehensive list may blur the line between "neighborhood" and "subdivision": I know Montrose has a bunch of "sub-neighborhoods"), but I kind of want to know more information about the various neighborhoods that make up Houston the way it is. I mean, I know that Wikipedia has some information on neighborhoods, but come on: I've learned more about Montrose and its character from the HAIF, while in Wikipedia it briefly says a bit about Montrose's history (both in general and its relation with LGBT culture). And of course, there's plenty to read about the Houston Heights, which is where many HAIFers are from. But what neighborhoods (besides the ones listed here, and the Heights) are special and unique in their own way, even if it's just signage?

Edited by IronTiger

It's intersting that you talk about "MONTROSE" but give Disco Kroger and Katz as the places you visited--- that's the far east side of Montrose-- I think Midtown begins at Bagby. . . . . . .

Montrose is a huge area-Perhaps you heard that the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer was the HEART of Montrose ( I heard the same in 1978 when I first visited)

but to gain insight into Montrose --the area everyone seems to have heard about . . . what it's neighborhoods are-

you'd do better to visit (you can stroll) through thse neighborhoods that converge at that intersection-------

-----Hyde Park, Avondale, First Montrose commons and WAMM -----I think there are 19 neighborhoods in total in Montrose.

Was seeing your Foley's the highlight of your trip ??

I still find your retail anchor-tinted glasses to be very odd.

You're the only haifer I know that seems to measure and value a neighborhood or area by its big box stores.

It reminds me of when I tease a friend for being stuck living out in Katy, and they respond with "We got a Krogers, a Walmart, an AMC, and 4 Olive Gardens all within 5 minutes; What more do we need?"

Edited by Highway6

You're the only haifer I know that seems to measure and value a neighborhood or area by its big box stores.

Interesting... this may be some kind of indicator about the local demographic.

It reminds me of when I tease a friend for being stuck living out in Katy, and they respond with "We got a Krogers, a Walmart, an AMC, and 4 Olive Gardens all within 5 minutes; What more do we need?"

One word: Ugh.

Was seeing your Foley's the highlight of your trip ??

Agreed. And are the weekend restaurants downtown overpriced? Quattro maybe. Certainly not Hubcap.