Google Earth/Maps 2011

Noticed that Google updated its imagery in Houston to January 2011, instead of January 2010. Didn't get a chance to really browse around too much, but I noticed

- someone had carved out a path in the old Astroworld

- CityCentre looks complete

- More of the former MKT railroad/Heights Bike Trail paved

- You can see some barrels north of downtown in prep for light rail work

- some of the more exurban areas, like from Katy to Hempstead, have gotten new imagery...2011, not blurry

Didn't get too much of a chance to check it out, but looks good. I also tried to look for a thread that would be appropriate to put this into, but couldn't find one, really

Edited by IronTiger

It is interesting to watch the progression of my home renovations through the satellite views. Yahoo, for instance, still shows my pre-2006 gravel driveway. Bing shows my late 2007 deck, but not the new garage. Google now shows the new garage. However, streetview still shows an image between mid-2006 and mid-2009.

I suppose this is one benefit of a 5 year renovation...dating satellite photos.

It is interesting to watch the progression of my home renovations through the satellite views. Yahoo, for instance, still shows my pre-2006 gravel driveway. Bing shows my late 2007 deck, but not the new garage. Google now shows the new garage. However, streetview still shows an image between mid-2006 and mid-2009.

I suppose this is one benefit of a 5 year renovation...dating satellite photos.

Doesn't Google have several different sets of imagery in the Historical Imagery section for Houston from about 2005 until the present? Stepping through those ought to be interesting if your project took five years.

Google Earth has imagery for Houston going back to 1944.

Yes, they do. I wasn't clear. From 2005 forward there are lots of different sets, looks like eight-month-ish apart. There is an immediately post-Ike set, at least in the Galveston area, from October 2008. I was just suggesting to Red that if he wanted to see his renovations progressing that would be the easiest way.

However, streetview still shows an image between mid-2006 and mid-2009.

Streetview in my neighborhood (Norhill) is definitely from the early part of that time span. Some houses on my street are unrecognizable compared to their current state.

I hope they plan to update the streetview images regularly but leave the existing images available, as with the satellite images. This would make it considerably more valuable, albeit with some privacy concerns (especially for those who don't want HCAD to easily monitor their renovations).