White Announces Way Cleared For Fed Transit $

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We had fixed guideway bus service as a part of the Metro Solutions plan; there were about four or five "signature express" bus lines located on major routes such as Westheimer, Bellaire/Holcombe, and Gessner. The proposal was for these routes to have a very limited number of stops, with dedicated boarding platforms, and special buses to serve just these lines.

I have a question. I haven't been able to read all the responses to the original post so may have missed a prior response, but ...

I live off Gessner North of I-10. It appears from the statement above and the Metro maps that Gessner will have 'Signature Bus/Suburban BRT' service in the future.

My question - does this mean rails will be built with the road (for future use) and that there will be transit stations added on Gessner? Or is this simply an over-hyped name for some new kind of bus line with fewer stops?

All responses are welcome - this could make a difference between me staying in that area ... or not!

I really haven't look into that area. My only problem is if the rails are in the center. Gessners is a busy street to get to the line in the middle.

I'm thinking it'll just be a signature service.

Metro has a map showing all of the routes/lines involved in this new plan. The North Side/East Side/Galleria lines are all described as BRT. The Gessner line is described as Signature Bus Service. The Signature is an express route with limited stops. I don't think it is a fixed guideway.

Gessner will not have rails. The rails are only going on the three lines that were originally approved as light rail that are getting BRT as an interim service. Those are the Northline, Harrisburg, and Southeast/Universities corridors. Gessner was always just suburban Signature Express bus service, which will be like the other BRT service but without a fixed guideway.

Archived