The Grand Shopping Mall Developments

citykid09

Guest Plastic

This a very bad idea. They already didn't want it cause it would be hard compitetion with Katy Mills Mall. That thingis outdoor meaning clients would be directly exposed to Houston weather.

SHopping outdoors in Houston is a mjor detterent.

i TEnd tO gree wit hyou, pRsonally.

But the operating expenses can be really high for landlords that have to air condition a big indoor space with lots of common areas, amenities, and security guards. So a lot of retailers are riding the TND arm of the new urbanism movement as an excuse to get rid of a big chunk of overhead without being perceived as having become less trendy or upscale by socially/economically affluent shoppers.

Guest Plastic
i TEnd tO gree wit hyou, pRsonally.

But the operating expenses can be really high for landlords that have to air condition a big indoor space with lots of common areas, amenities, and security guards. So a lot of retailers are riding the TND arm of the new urbanism movement as an excuse to get rid of a big chunk of overhead without being perceived as having become less trendy or upscale by socially/economically affluent shoppers.

You can built a whole mall with skating rinks but airconditioning is too much?

San Antonio has an outdoor mall on the northside, La Canterra. Nordstrom's, Foley's (probably Macy's now), Dillards as anchors. It's an interesting concept; you see overhead fans in many areas, lots of seating; it's just wierd in my opinion.

This mall, The Shops at La Cantera, is very nice, very upscale. There is a ton of landscaping inside and out, waterfalls, streams, rock outcroppings, and several overhead canopies (arbors, shades, overhangs) that help it not be so unbearable.

Plus, the food court is indoors. I think it could work in Houston, the real problem is the rain, not the heat. It rains much less in SA and Cali (where this concept is also popular), can you imagine strolling thru the mall in a downpour?

This a very bad idea. They already didn't want it cause it would be hard compitetion with Katy Mills Mall. That thingis outdoor meaning clients would be directly exposed to Houston weather.

I actually think it would be cool to have an outdoor mall. You make it sound like if you step outside for even a second you're likely to melt.

Even so, it wouldn't hurt for some people to sweat some while they are on their way to their car about to drive back home again. Some sweating might make people shed a few pounds, which can't hurt some people.

i don't think the outdoor concept is hurting market street or the new "lifestyle" addition at the woodlands mall. i read that at their one year anniversary, many chain stores were having the top sales in their company.

i'm surprised to see how many people choose to sit on patios in 90 degree heat out here. i think that a certain portion of the population accept the heat and deal with it (and dress like they are in the bahamas).

that's my two pennies.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, what a stupid ass development.

It looks like a centralized big box store. What is with developers and surface lots. No one in there right mind is going to shop in a place outside with no tree and no garages.

With Memorial City Mall and T&C coming up, this place will never make it.

I guarantee you those "Future" developements will never see the day of light unless something unique is brought to the table.

• 4 months later...

It is a .pdf but has the timeline written out and lots of graphics. It will not be a closed-in "mall" (I think those days are being close to over) rather something like Meyerland or Woodlands Town Center. It seems like it will be very nice. All information was verified as accurate as of May 2006. I have written a few times to Simon (as well as Interfin, the group who is doing the "Westside Marketplace" a few parcels over from the Simon project) and have received no information, nor are there any press releases to validate/dispute any info.

2008 isn't too far away, perhaps it will be sooner than that now that things are hopping out that way.

http://www.simon.com/mall/LeasingSheet/Grand1206.pdf

Thanks for posting the pics Trae. :)

Houston needs a Bloomingdale's an upscale Department Store other than Neiman Marcus and Saks 5th Avenue. I think a Bloomingdale's would do great here in Houston.

I'd like to see a Nordstroms out there. Is the Galleria location the only one?

• 1 year later...

Worrisome times for a lot of companies. At least Simon updated its web site. A lot of companies don't both or worry that if they do it'll make them seem weak to investors.

The best companies saved their money in the good times and are now shopping for bargains (mostly other companies).

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if an actual mall will ever come to Katy. I use the Memorial City & Galleria malls, and I am starting to think that we are too close to memorial City & Town & Country Village that there may not be a mall in our near future.

I recently moved here and many of the people that are Katy "natives" have said that there has been a talk of a mall for many many years and they don't believe in a mall anymore until they see it.

I am building a house here too, that I plan on living in for a long time, so I hope we do get one. I am giving it at the most 5 years, then I'm out if nothing happens. That also goes for the lack of retail developments we have. Look at the Woodlands & Sugarland, what happened to Katy? I guess we have a good school district, right? ha

IThat also goes for the lack of retail developments we have. Look at the Woodlands & Sugarland, what happened to Katy? I guess we have a good school district, right? ha

Katy area is much younger than the Woodlands and Sugarland.

Most folks don't consider Katy Mills to be a real mall because it has more of an outlet mall feel to it. Regarding the talk of a mall in Katy for a long time...my parents moved to Katy in 1979 and there were signs up for a mall to go in on the North side of I-10 between Mason and Grand Parkway. It never happened.

Most folks don't consider Katy Mills to be a real mall because it has more of an outlet mall feel to it. Regarding the talk of a mall in Katy for a long time...my parents moved to Katy in 1979 and there were signs up for a mall to go in on the North side of I-10 between Mason and Grand Parkway. It never happened.

Regardless of what other folks in the area think Katy Mills mall is, I guarantee you that other mall developers view it as a mall and a very big one!

Archived