Weston Solutions Office Building Proposal In Midtown

brian0123

how do you get the lawn equipment to the roof to do the landscaping? Most green roofs do not have turf grasses. The primarily use Sedum and Delosperma species which can, depending on variety, be drought, cold, or heat tolerant depending on where they are used. No mowing is necessary although taking your pet goat onto the roof would be fun. :)Think Swiss chalet.

a roof teeming with grass, and plants Most plants, including small trees are in their own containters but, in general, the roof structure does have to be beefed up for the extra weight.

The obvious choice for a green roof in Texas would be to plant mesquite.

In his defense, the Empire State Building was built 'on spec'; and those who brokered this deal deserve kudos. On the other hand, we have some terrible crap being built in Houston, with the understanding that if it's profitable in the next few years, people can walk away with their pockets full and reputations intact. And there are few of those "beloved phallic symbols" rising, which I admit to viewing with admiration. (Cheap shots already acknowledged.)

Editor went after developers. The dirty little secret about developers is that (in addition to expensing their costs to the project) most of them charge a fee against the project, typically about 3% of cost. This, even though they may only contribute about 5% of the project financing. Essentially, they're getting a 60% discount on buying into the project. The more buy-in they can get, the better. So any kind of increased capital cost to the project that comes with commensurate (or not-quite commensurate) enhancement of the revenue stream is in the developer's interest. What's more, developers naturally would prefer to develop nicer product because it enhances their reputation and their ability to put together more deals. So even though he does not know it, Editor and the American developer's interests are actually quite well aligned.

If he knew better, Editor would've gone after banks and big equity players like life insurance companies for being too attentive to profitability, risk management, and shareholder interests, or perhaps for being too unwilling to lobby for vastly increased federal banking intervention, a la Bank of China. ...cuz yeah, that's basically what it would take to erect more phallic symbols of the sort that he desires. And if he's going to go there, I'm going to spin the old 'Guns & Butter' argument as 'Symbols & Butter'. What is the optimal mix to achieve the greatest social good?

The obvious choice for a green roof in Texas would be to plant mesquite.

OK, I've been criticized before on other threads for lecturing and, in fact I was then, though not intentionally so please be patient with me. Mesquite can survive in areas that have very little precipitation but they are also the 800 pound gorilla when it comes to taking what little water is available. That is one reason ranchers are so enthusiastic about uprooting and burning mesquite trees - the suck all the water out of the ground and compete viciously with grasses.

By way of full disclosure I should have included in my response to samamon that there is some degree of maintenance involved with a "green" roof. That said, there is also more maintenance required for all "flat" roofs (where a flat roof is any with less than a 3-on-12 slope) than most of them receive. Drains need to be kept clear, flashings and copings need to be inspected after severe weather events and repaired if necessary, and the effects of aging of the roofing material needs to be noted and the roof replaced before failure occurs.

Too few commercial or institutional building owners have an effective program in place to properly maintain their roofs. In our area, and other coastal areas, though rising insurance rates are forcing this to change. Properly installed and maintained roofs of any age are more likely to survive a high-wind event than a poorly installed or poorly maintained roof.

OK, I've been criticized before on other threads for lecturing and, in fact I was then, though not intentionally so please be patient with me. Mesquite can survive in areas that have very little precipitation but they are also the 800 pound gorilla when it comes to taking what little water is available. That is one reason ranchers are so enthusiastic about uprooting and burning mesquite trees - the suck all the water out of the ground and compete viciously with grasses.

By way of full disclosure I should have included in my response to samamon that there is some degree of maintenance involved with a "green" roof. That said, there is also more maintenance required for all "flat" roofs (where a flat roof is any with less than a 3-on-12 slope) than most of them receive. Drains need to be kept clear, flashings and copings need to be inspected after severe weather events and repaired if necessary, and the effects of aging of the roofing material needs to be noted and the roof replaced before failure occurs.

Too few commercial or institutional building owners have an effective program in place to properly maintain their roofs. In our area, and other coastal areas, though rising insurance rates are forcing this to change. Properly installed and maintained roofs of any age are more likely to survive a high-wind event than a poorly installed or poorly maintained roof.

Lol...i was actually being a little tongue-in-cheek about the mesquite. My first thought when you mentioned using plants that are weather tolerant was actually live oak. I wish I had photoshop so I could mock up downtown with a live oak on top of every building. :P

Lol...i was actually being a little tongue-in-cheek about the mesquite. My first thought when you mentioned using plants that are weather tolerant was actually live oak. I wish I had photoshop so I could mock up downtown with a live oak on top of every building. :P

I think a pine tree would be more fitting.

• 1 month later...

i noticed construction equipment and work on both lots today although i think it was just utility work... i still think this is good news

Yeah, they started last week. I've been holding off on pictures and news until I see more substantial work going on.

• 4 weeks later...

Some background information and pictures regarding other projects on the site... none about this project yet though. http://www.westonsolutions.com/services/property_redevelopment/propertyacq.htm

"Brownfield Acquisition and Redevelopment

WESTON has facilitated the sale, remediation and redevelopment of a range of environmentally impaired properties for over fifteen years. This experience, combined with a proven level of technical expertise, allows WESTON to provide total solutions to issues arising from Brownfield Acquisition and Redevelopment. We have extended our passion for restoring the environment to actively transform unproductive properties into economic assets.

Whether these properties are acquired from government entities or from defunct corporations, these sites are often presented with significant risks including cleanup cost uncertainty, regulatory scrutiny, and unknown environmental conditions. Our goal is to align our interests with those of our clients, and to provide a market-based exit strategy for a contaminated property, through a variety of remediation and disposition options.

The WESTON difference results in tangible benefits to our clients:

Maximum savings and quicker return to productive use through integrating environmental remediation and site redevelopment activities, and employing risk-based cleanup programs. We assume environmental liability at the corporate level, not a development LLC.

Future liability protection through innovative risk management strategies. We take downside risks on the cost of remediation while sharing in potential remediation savings and upside in property value.

Enhanced public image as clients are seen as proactive, environmentally responsible corporate citizens.

Structured financing options that meet the specific needs of the property owner and help ensure the success of the development program. We can invest cash or sweat equity in transactions in return for an ownership share."

• 1 month later...

Across the street from these two blocks a new rehabilitation center is going to be built... http://innerlooped.com/1159/another-midtown-lot-to-grow-a-building/ I noticed the new sign up on the lot yesterday for it (no renderings yet). This (coupled with these two blocks being developed) should serve as a nice buffer between the neighborhood and Pierce elevated.

• The title was changed to Two Empty Lots To Become Office Buildings
  • The title was changed to Weston Solutions Office Building Proposal In Midtown

Archived