10 Tallest Skyscrapers Completed In 2010

editor

Architectural Record has a nice little story built around a graph from the Council for Tall Buildings and Urban Habitats:

1.jpg

The crux of the story is that 10 years after people said that no one would ever build skyscrapers again, 66 buildings taller than 650 feet went up around the world: http://archrecord.construction.com/news/2011/03/110302skyscraper_craze.asp

There's a companion article about how six of the 10 tallest new buildings on the drawing boards in 2010 were designed by American companies, but only one was destined for America, but it was canceled with only the foundation being built.

Article: http://archrecord.construction.com/news/2011/03/110302skyscrapers_climb_higher.asp

From the article:

In Guangzhou, the firm’s 116-story Chow Tai Fook Centre will have setbacks that help differentiate between offices, hotels, and apartments. The terracotta-and-glass tower will sit atop three planned subway lines and also have a tunnel connecting to an existing commuter rail line that whisks people between cities on the Pearl River. “There will be 25,000 people in the building daily, and 80 to 90 percent will arrive by train or bus,” says Forth Bagley, a KPF principal.

This is probably why Houston will never have a super tall. It would be a traffic nightmare to get people there predominantly by cars.

edit: the India Tower in Mumbai is SWEET lookin

352px-India_Tower_Mumbai.jpg

• 9 months later...

Lest we enact ZONING... and prohibit (or penalize) morons from moving so far out (Katy, woodland, sugarland, simonton, clear lake, cypress) from the city... things like this will NEVER happen...

I'd have to disagree with this assessment. More and more people are wanting to have a distinct separation in their home life and work life. Living in further out areas easily equals a less urbanized home life, that's more private and... homely at a lower cost. It comes down to population increasing in the city making it less appealing to live for many. And as these outer population increases, so will the traffic as people go even further out.

Houston is what it is. Ultimately, it will depend on the transportation systems here, not the zoning. I believe that, in short, the answer lies in stacked freeways (for longer distance commuters to use the upper deck) and a high speed train system or massive expansion of the Light Rail.

This is probably why Houston will never have a super tall. It would be a traffic nightmare to get people there predominantly by cars.

Umm... Houston has two: JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo.

One can always argue the definition of a supertall, but the CTBUH defines the term to mean any building with a height of at least 300m. There are only 58 buildings in the entire world that meet this criterion. Two are in Houston.

Oh, and ... Of all the cities in the world, only seven - Dubai, Hong Kong, Chicago, New York City, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Busan - have more '100 tallest' buildings than we do. (Three others - Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Guangzhou - have the same number as we do... 3.)

If a city is judged by the height of its tallest buildings, I'd say Houston's doing pretty well.

For the record, I don't think cities should be judged on the height of their tallest buildings. ^_^

The diagram/data came from CTBUH, so I don't blame the writers of the article, but I believe they missed Wenzhou WTC. They also put Sky Tower at 292m, but I believe its actual height is 312m.

Here are some other interesting facts:

- 2007 was the year in which the height-to-floor ratio was the highest (when the sample includes the current 100 tallest buildings). Since 1982, the average height-to-floor ratio is about 4.8m per floor; in 2007, it was a staggering 6.4m per floor. This can partly be attributed to the antenna on the NY Times Tower. However, even if the calculation was made solely on the basis of height to rooftop, 2007 still comes in at 5.6m per floor. The primary reason for this large deviation from typical values is because the Aspire Tower in Doha stands at 300m and only 36 floors!

- A majority of the world's tallest buildings completed in 2010 and 2011 have been mixed-use. Of the 31 buildings completed in the past two years which appear on the current list of 100 tallest buildings, 16 have been mixed-use. An additional 11 have been residential. (Four were office-only and none were hotels.) The only other time this has happened over a biennium is in 2002/2003, when two of the three now-100 tallest buildings constructed in those years were mixed-use.

And now, for no reason but just because I have always been in awe of the Burj Khalifa's immense height: The difference in the heights of the tallest building in the world (Burj Khalifa) and the current-second tallest in the world (Taipei 101)... is bigger than the total height of the JPMorgan Chase tower in Houston.

• The title was changed to 10 Tallest Skyscrapers Completed In 2010

Archived