HAIF on a Commodore 64

If anyone thought the C-64 was fun, they should have tried the computer I had before the C-64...a Sinclair ZX-81 with a whopping 4k of onboard ram. If you ever want to really hone your programming skills try building games with a 4k limit. When I finally got the C-64 I couldn't imagine ever needing more ram. :o

If anyone thought the C-64 was fun, they should have tried the computer I had before the C-64...a Sinclair ZX-81 with a whopping 4k of onboard ram. If you ever want to really hone your programming skills try building games with a 4k limit. When I finally got the C-64 I couldn't imagine ever needing more ram. :o

Sinclairs were epic. I cut my teeth on C=64. I knew almost everything about that. I could even program in assembly. Stacked a couple of 6581 SID chips to make six-voice stereo sound.

Then one day I got my hands on a pair of broken Sinclairs. That's when I started serious hardware hacking -- trying to turn the two of them into one machine. Neither had a keyboard, but all it was was a simple matrix of relays, so I was able to splice a cable between an old Telex keyboard (which was missing a few keys) and the Sinclair's keyboard header. It worked really really poorly, but the fact that it worked at all was the delight.

Thank God I live in an apartment. If I had a garage or a shed or a den or something, it would look like Doc Brown's science lab by now.

Sinclairs were epic. I cut my teeth on C=64. I knew almost everything about that. I could even program in assembly. Stacked a couple of 6581 SID chips to make six-voice stereo sound.

Then one day I got my hands on a pair of broken Sinclairs. That's when I started serious hardware hacking -- trying to turn the two of them into one machine. Neither had a keyboard, but all it was was a simple matrix of relays, so I was able to splice a cable between an old Telex keyboard (which was missing a few keys) and the Sinclair's keyboard header. It worked really really poorly, but the fact that it worked at all was the delight.

Thank God I live in an apartment. If I had a garage or a shed or a den or something, it would look like Doc Brown's science lab by now.

I never owned a Commodore until around 98, I took one out of the local landfill in Pahrump Nevada. When I decided to move back home to Houston in 05 I found myself owning 13 good working computers, they were very near representing every tier or technology, they all worked, some like I said came from the landfill. Local government really don't care what they cost so they just loaded them up and threw them into the dump. No way to continue keeping these dinosaurs so I gave all of them away, I sometime regret it but hey life goes on.

Don't forget about the cousin of the 64, the Vic-20.

Most of my friends has VIC-20's, but I came to the computer scene later than they did, so I got the 64. Thank God. I don't think I could deal with a 22x23 screen. The 40x25 on the 64 was bad enough. It was nice later when people figured out how to do 80x25. I wrote a terminal program that did 80x50 by doing some nasty bank switching on alternating raster lines. It flickered like a vacancy sign at a fleabag motel, but it worked. I used it to hack PR1MEOS mainframes, back when "hacking" meant something.

since we're speaking of history, I deal a lot with industrial communications, and I'm putting together a training session for our new guys dealing with learning how to read baseN numbering systems.

binary and hex is pretty standard and extremely useful for reading data values of individual registers in hardware devices, but I had to hit on octal as well, which got me thinking about when was octal actually useful? we hardly ever use it any at all, it's useful for what we do in setting up some communication settings for some hardware, but other than what I use it for, what was it used for back in the 'olden days' of computing?

since we're speaking of history, I deal a lot with industrial communications, and I'm putting together a training session for our new guys dealing with learning how to read baseN numbering systems.

binary and hex is pretty standard and extremely useful for reading data values of individual registers in hardware devices, but I had to hit on octal as well, which got me thinking about when was octal actually useful? we hardly ever use it any at all, it's useful for what we do in setting up some communication settings for some hardware, but other than what I use it for, what was it used for back in the 'olden days' of computing?

Octal was good back when memory was at a premium, and every last byte mattered. Sometimes memory was measured in nybbles, instead of bytes, especially if you were working with a 4-bit processor like the Intel 4004. And just as today we find it convenient to measure 8-bit memory addresses in base-16 hexadecimal, 4-bit nybbles were measured in base-8 octal.

A good example of everyday octal use (back in the day) was CompuServe. Logins on its mainframes were octal numbers. I was 72167,3530, which I think means I was around the 29,000th customer (businesses included).

Today, a portion of HAIF runs on octal. The file permissions of the BSD file system that holds this place up are in octal. If I want everyone to be able to do something, it's 0777. If it's only me who can write things, then is's 0644.

• 2 months later...

It has a built in C64 emulator. Sweet!

Though.. its lacking the cartridge slot on the back, and it doesn't appear to have the ability to connect to the old disc drives. Asking for a modern computer in a C64 shell that also hooks up to 25 yr old peripherals may have been asking too much.

Though.. its lacking the cartridge slot on the back, and it doesn't appear to have the ability to connect to the old disc drives. Asking for a modern computer in a C64 shell that also hooks up to 25 yr old peripherals may have been asking too much.

I don't know about the emulator it comes with, but googling c64 emulator brought up some that emulate the peripherals on the HD. It also looks like a lot of the original software, particularly games, are available for download so you might not really need the old equipment anyway.

Before I got the 1541 disk drive I used a tape recorder to save and load programs. Ahhh...those were the days...:o

Archived