Senator Ellis files Complete Streets bill

house567

Lawmakers File "Complete Streets" Bill

02/03/2011

by Becca Aaronson, The Texas Tribune

Lawmakers today filed a bill they hope will help drivers, cyclists and pedestrians safely share the roads.

State Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, R-Irving, and Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, filed so-called "Complete Streets" legislation, which would require the Texas Department of Transportation to "recognize that bicycle, pedestrian, and transit modes are integral elements of the transportation system," and develop safer streets for people to walk, bike or drive.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-transportation/transportation/lawmakers-file-complete-streets-bill-/

This is common sense in most states and cities, and actively promoted. The fact that a law has to be passed shows how out of touch TXDOT is.

Are you familiar with most of other states' law regarding how a state transportation agency collaborates with empowered local entities with regards this sort of infrastructure? Please cite 26 examples from state law. And why does there need to be a national organization promoting this kind of policy if most states already operated as they suggest?

Are you familiar with most of other states' law regarding how a state transportation agency collaborates with empowered local entities with regards this sort of infrastructure? Please cite 26 examples from state law. And why does there need to be a national organization promoting this kind of policy if most states already operated as they suggest?

The above website has a pretty good atlas of the laws (see below) seems 23 states have laws in place so you are right on calling him out on the "most" states part probably should have said "many" states. Nonetheless, it is a common sense bill.

http://www.completestreets.org/complete-streets-fundamentals/complete-streets-atlas/

The above website has a pretty good atlas of the laws (see below) seems 23 states have laws in place so you are right on calling him out on the "most" states part probably should have said "many" states. Nonetheless, it is a common sense bill.

http://www.completes...-streets-atlas/

common sense and government aren't on the same page.

I think this is in direct response to the initiative that the transportation secretary passed down last year...

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/transportation-department-embraces-bikes-and-business-groups-cry-foul/

so yeah, they just want to ensure federal funding, so are creating their own rules that mirror what the transportation secretary has asked for.

• Like 1

Another example of treating HAIF as your unpaid research staff. We're not interns. Get your own damn coffee.

• Like 1

Lawmakers File "Complete Streets" Bill

02/03/2011

by Becca Aaronson, The Texas Tribune

Lawmakers today filed a bill they hope will help drivers, cyclists and pedestrians safely share the roads.

State Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, R-Irving, and Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, filed so-called "Complete Streets" legislation, which would require the Texas Department of Transportation to "recognize that bicycle, pedestrian, and transit modes are integral elements of the transportation system," and develop safer streets for people to walk, bike or drive.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-transportation/transportation/lawmakers-file-complete-streets-bill-/

I cannot quote studies, laws or precedents but my experiences as a pedestrian count for something.

Houston can be terrifically frustrating for pedestrians. If I have business in an unfamiliar neighborhood, I check with Metro to find the closest bus route. I then consult a city map, and get some idea of the surrounding streets, and various ways in which my destination can be reached. I don't like being late, or lost.

But maps are designed to help drivers, not bicyclists or pedestrians. You might be surprised at how often sidewalks abruptly end in the middle of nowhere. What initially looks like an easy walk suddenly becomes a slog through mud and unmown vacant lots. Worse, sidewalks can lead one into a 'cars only' zone, where one is faced with the choice to dodge traffic, or retracing ones steps. And when it's a hot summer day, an additional mile or so of walking is not pleasant. There's a reason that so-called 'idiotic' pedestrians are struck by cars on freeways. A desperate dash can save a mile of walking. Unfortunately, a moment's error in judgement can be fatal.

The Great Wall of China was built to prevent access. The freeways of Houston weren't built with that in mind, but have much the same effect.

Another example of treating HAIF as your unpaid research staff. We're not interns. Get your own damn coffee.

I don't like my coffee. I want a sample of yours and everybody else's, and then I will buy into the one that I like. It's why I'm here.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

Each was intended as a component of the national defense infrastructure.

An irrelevant point, but true.

The Great Wall was constructed to keep the invading hordes out. The Interstate system's military value was to defend our country from within.

Interstate highways have had a detrimental effect. They were designed for the efficient travel of motor vehicles, with no regard for the effects they had on local communities. Neighborhoods were literally split. That's the source of my Great Wall reference.

Historically, highway construction has not given much thought to the needs of pedestrians or cyclists. I meekly suggest that with a little forethought, highways could have been more sympathetically designed, and hope we don't repeat the mistakes of the past.

edit: 'hordes' not 'hoards'.

Edited by dbigtex56