The House that could Change Houston Forever

A single-family high-rise.

Alright, don't know if this idea exists already, I'm sure it does, but maybe it doesn't. My question is, why hasn't it been done already?

Of course this would cost millions of dollars but only millionaires would be buying these.

Benefits:

No expensive HOA fees.

High-rise view without sharing a wall, floor or ceiling.

Privacy not usually obtained from regular high-rises.

Edit: Specs:

1600 Sq. Ft

200 ft tall (from ground to bottom of house)

gallery_723_64_15110.jpg

gallery_723_64_29051.jpg

It's been done, and completed just this year, in Mumbai. Only that one was structurally sound, which is kinda important. You might want to add some cross-bracing to your supports.

BillionaireHouse-252x300.jpg

I knew about that but don't really consider it to be the same thing. That is a building. Mine is not a building. It's a home on stilts.

Plus, I think his costs billions and this will be much more affordable. I think the average millionaire could probably afford one of mine.

As for the engineering, I know it can be done, but I don't know how.

I knew about that but don't really consider it to be the same thing. That is a building. Mine is not a building. It's a home on stilts.

Plus, I think his costs billions and this will be much more affordable. I think the average millionaire could probably afford one of mine.

As for the engineering, I know it can be done, but I don't know how.

Slipform concrete construction methods are your ideal engineering solution. The end result, a monolithic cylinder, is stable, aerodynamic, and as tall and/or wide as one can afford it to be. Alternatively, think about how various kinds of water towers are structured, and configure around that.

In either case, however, bear in mind that the average millionaire lives in a home of substantially less value than their total net worth. Also bear in mind that the applicability of the idea to any city that has adopted a building code will require lots of pesky safety features...like stairs.

Slipform concrete construction methods are your ideal engineering solution. The end result, a monolithic cylinder, is stable, aerodynamic, and as tall and/or wide as one can afford it to be. Alternatively, think about how various kinds of water towers are structured, and configure around that.

In either case, however, bear in mind that the average millionaire lives in a home of substantially less value than their total net worth. Also bear in mind that the applicability of the idea to any city that has adopted a building code will require lots of pesky safety features...like stairs.

Actually, I did think about the stairs but forgot to include it in the plan. They would be in a shaft right next to the elevator. Alternatively, I thought a chute would be fun, too ;)

Also, a quick search on har shows me 100+ houses on the market for at least 3 mil. Only 8 that are 2 mil+ in a high-rise. I think these could easily be sold for 2 mil (ok, I don't have a clue but I think it's close). What's your guess on how much it would take to build? I think less than a million.

Actually, I did think about the stairs but forgot to include it in the plan. They would be in a shaft right next to the elevator. Alternatively, I thought a chute would be fun, too ;)

Also, a quick search on har shows me 100+ houses on the market for at least 3 mil. Only 8 that are 2 mil+ in a high-rise. I think these could easily be sold for 2 mil (ok, I don't have a clue but I think it's close). What's your guess on how much it would take to build? I think less than a million.

I have no idea what a 200-foot elevator and stairs would cost, but it wouldn't be cheap. Water pressure would also be pretty low at the top, so there'd have to be a pump to get it there. Structural and MEP engineering and the permitting process would add heavily to soft costs and potentially to carrying costs. And since non-deed-restricted neighborhoods in un-zoned Houston, Pasadena, or unincorporated rural areas are the only places that they could be built, and most wealthy folks prefer to be around other wealthy folks, you're going to have to add in some significant land costs. Oh, and since most wealthy folks don't appreciate other wealthy folks building tall residences near them, there'd have to be money in the budget to fight a protracted battle over de facto zoning (or to bribe your way out of it).

I'm not saying that nobody would ever attempt something like this, in some form or another, but that customer would be a rare bird.

I'm not sure why it would have to be that tall.

If your primary goal is a view, then you only need to be taller than what's around your site.

It seems if you could build to 75ish, that would easily clear not only your typical 3 story town house, but pretty much all Houston's trees as well ( Oaks, 50' avg)

I'm not sure why it would have to be that tall.

If your primary goal is a view, then you only need to be taller than what's around your site.

It seems if you could build to 75ish, that would easily clear not only your typical 3 story town house, but pretty much all Houston's trees as well ( Oaks, 50' avg)

Well, I figured they could actually be any height. The customer would determine it. But 200ft would probably be the equivilant of what, 15-18 stories high? That's a decent high-rise feel. I figured 250+ would be a bit much unless someone really wanted to. 200' is comfortable.

I thought about being just above the treelines, and that would still be very nice, but I'd want it to be at least 100-125' high. Anything lower it would just feel like you're at the top of a 5-6 story building. I like it, but I like the HIGH rise feel even better.

I remember seeing a high-rise design where it was a regular building except the units did not exist until above 5 floors up. Imagine a popsicle stick and that's what it looked like. The designers thought was, "nobody wants to be on the bottom of a high-rise," which I agree is probably true.

Ah, I see what mean about the water tower-type idea. I think that would be much better, especially asthetically. Right now all those stilts make it look butt ugly and I'm sure neighbors would hate to look at it, including me.

Regardless what millionaries typically live in, I look at how many homes are on the market for millions. These would market to those type of people, whoever they are. Maybe you'll counter that those people like big yards and lots of square footage. Touche, but I would have to think there's a market out there for this and those people who want the mansions become empty nestors. I think this would be good for them as well as people who are very self centered that like people to know how much money they have. They would stand out very much in their new home, not hidden behind tall pines and oaks a la Memorial.

I have no idea what a 200-foot elevator and stairs would cost, but it wouldn't be cheap. Water pressure would also be pretty low at the top, so there'd have to be a pump to get it there. Structural and MEP engineering and the permitting process would add heavily to soft costs and potentially to carrying costs. And since non-deed-restricted neighborhoods in un-zoned Houston, Pasadena, or unincorporated rural areas are the only places that they could be built, and most wealthy folks prefer to be around other wealthy folks, you're going to have to add in some significant land costs. Oh, and since most wealthy folks don't appreciate other wealthy folks building tall residences near them, there'd have to be money in the budget to fight a protracted battle over de facto zoning (or to bribe your way out of it).

I'm not saying that nobody would ever attempt something like this, in some form or another, but that customer would be a rare bird.

I'm not following the "adding in some significant land costs." Do unincorpirated areas have more expensive land?

Why do you say it would take a rare buyer for this? Because it's so non-traditional? Although cool, it would also be looked upon as being "weird?"

Why do you say it would take a rare buyer for this? Because it's so non-traditional? Although cool, it would also be looked upon as being "weird?"

Millionaires don't get that way by embracing unnecessary risk or by being wasteful as a matter of public spectacle. And most "weird" people will never have the opportunity to become millionaires.

Consider also that a bank loan for this thing would be very difficult and/or expensive to come by, and that it would be worthless as collateral to a business deal.

I'm not following the "adding in some significant land costs." Do unincorpirated areas have more expensive land?

The kinds of unincorporated areas where a millionaire would think that this is appropriate would likely have an expensive land component, whether on account of large tract size or unique location (i.e. beachfront or lakefront).

How does this house have the potential to "change Houston forever"?

Ok, so I went a little overboard in continuing my theme of the other building I proposed ;)

But I thought it could change it somewhat, at least the skyline, and intrigue people. Imagine 50-100 of these houses popped up around the city at mid to high-rise levels. I think it would be pretty neat to see and definitely leave visitors intrigued.

As an architectural anomaly, the house would definitely have an effect on the skyline. However, despite its intriguing nature, the design would probably not displace current residential prototypes, given its high construction costs and limited demand.

I'd build one near a major freeway interchange, then rent out the windows for companies to cover with advertising wrap.

Archived