Dallasnews.com: Houston Is Sinking

The gist of the article:

Houston, you have a problem. The Gulf of Mexico is coming back to reclaim you. At least, that's what a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration report says, more or less.

Galveston and Cajun country will be missed, but not Houston.

Someone else will now have to be crowned sweat and fat city.

This is what happens when you keep building sporting palaces without knocking down the old ones. The cumulative weight makes the ground sink. Hope that last Super Bowl was a good time. Next, an America's Cup qualifier.

Dallas will have plenty of room for Houston's strippers.

Roger Clemmens might as well play for the Rangers or else take up swimming.

The Cowboys' loss to your Texans won't mean so much when another of your NFL franchises has to move.

Our mosquitoes will need a new home.

Our sprawl will be underwater, so no need for zoning.

And so on...

Dallas need to go sit down somewhere. Houston sinking? You know how long it takes for a city, or a state to sink? A very long time. I'll be dead and gone. My grandchildern probably would be dead and gone too, even my great great grandchildern won't be here.

Dallas always wanna be #1 in things. Try to redeem yourself first by getting back the#2 spot first from San Antonio. That's right, San Antonio took Dallas balls, and now Dallas mad and wanna say things like this on their newspaper about Houston, just cause they can't take our balls like SA took theirs.

Houston is not going anywhere. Look at Cali-L.A. they said they sinking too, and Florida.

And also I like to add. Dallas always wanna copy off of Houston do. We built a brand new rectratable roof stadium, and host the super bowl, now Dallas wanna built a stadium and try to host the super bowl there too. Dallas is not orginial, it's fake. All the real stuff is in Houston. Houston got everything you need here, that's why Dallas tries to talk down on Houston.

What a loser do after they lost a fight. They talk bad about you, then try to train harder to beat his rivial opponent. That's what Dallas is doing.

considering our past as a city (the way we were founded, the wonder that is the ship channel, surviving the early eighties etc) i would think that houston would simply recreate itself into a 21st century venice thereby continuing to surpass dallas in population, class, etc. i'm sure our freeways would stay intact but our neighborhood streets would become canals. we would create enormous parking garage/boat docks at each freeway exit where our non-motorized paddle boats and canoes would be housed while we use the freeway system. ;)

I wouldn't worry about Houston sinking.  They are talking in Geologic time.  If worse comes to worse, we'll just build levees like New Orleans and Amsterdam.

kjb434, Since Galveston is in more of an immediate danger of something like this occuring, do you believe a system of pumps, and levees similar to New Orleans can keep the island afloat?

I don't think Galveston proper has to worry for awhile. However, the West End is already in harm's way, since it is so flat and unprotected by the seawall. Can you imagine the cost of lifting the West End like they did after The Great Storm? And who would pay for that?

I don't think Galveston proper has to worry for awhile.  However, the West End is already in harm's way, since it is so flat and unprotected by the seawall.  Can you imagine the cost of lifting the West End like they did after The Great Storm?  And who would pay for that?

They'll find a way, thats where most of the wealthy live. What I don't understand is why would you allow people to keep building on the sand at the expense of losing half the island. Expand the seawall for goodness sakes!! I know you guys are tired of my usual rant, but it frustrates me :angry:

What about the levees, and drains though?

I am just about to burst, and I cannot just be polite and say nothing anymore. To think that I just visited Dallas with all the good intentions, and enjoyed it mind you, and then I return to be reminded of just why we get so upset at that city. You know what? I don

Actually, that was pretty damn funny.  Sounds exactly like what my Dallas friends would have said if they called me.

I may need to come with a witty reply for their letters to the editor (this could take a few weeks).

I think your post is an example of what all, who read this EDITORIAL, should come away with. The rest of you Houstonians and/or friends of Houston need to get a grip. . .O.K. It was an EDITORIAL piece, and certainly doesn't reflect the thinking of a majority of Dallasites (While I admit that there are some in Dallas that share those same views). For a more accurate perception of Houston by Dallasites, please go to the following link on the DFW Forum, and look at the comments Dallasites posted in respone to the article:

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthre...ost69999&conly=

. . .and in closing. . .sheeeeeesh, did the guy who wrote that editorial touch a nerve in Houston or what?

If you think this article was bad, wait until the Houston Press breaks out its version. I can see it in the Hairballs section now:

Houston Moms will have an easier time drowning their babies

Estranged wives will need a submarine to run over their cheatin' husbands

Coming soon: The New Enron Underwater Adventure

and so on...

The thing is, there must be some same-thinking contingency in Dallas in order to be able to PUBLISH that article. Otherwise, the author would suffer some consequences. If a Montrose-based paper published anti-gay material, that author would be toast. Thus, I don

If you think this article was bad, wait until the Houston Press breaks out its version. I can see it in the Hairballs section now:

Houston Moms will have an easier time drowning their babies

Estranged wives will need a submarine to run over their cheatin' husbands

Coming soon: The New Enron Underwater Adventure

and so on...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The thing is, there must be some same-thinking contingency in Dallas in order to be able to PUBLISH that article.  Otherwise, the author would suffer some consequences.  If a Montrose-based paper published anti-gay material, that author would be toast.  Thus, I don

"You are obviously not familiar with the Houstonian. We have thick skins;"

Apparently not.

I am so disappointed with the posts on this thread. Can no one here understand a joke? Have we such thin skins? I swear, I haven't seen such civic insecurity since Jacksonville hosted the Super Bowl.

Maybe the 24 hours news channels have ruined our ability to laugh at ourselves. I don't know about you guys, but my day is crappy enough without getting a wedgie over a Dallas Morning News editor's attempt at being funny to his readers. I mean, after all, didn't our newspaper publish a story about how we didn't want "Dallas" on our federal reserve bank?

Learn to laugh a bit people!

(The Daily Show With Jon Stewart airs at 10:00 pm nightly)

It is good to see some of the replies of the dallas forumers on the dallas forum.

But now I see why they want a port, for when we sink!

Agree. With just one or two exceptions, most folks over there are pretty annoyed with the article and have expressed thier unsatisfaction with it.

While I can see why some say that Houston shouldn't be offended about this editorial, something tells me that if the same things were written about New Orleans (which is definitely in a more...urgent...situation, people's criticisms would be accepted.

Archived