2years later and an extra $35k.. Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good pr

student4life

I have been looking for a lot for about 3 years now and about two years ago I posted the question "Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good price for around $40k?" I did get some suggestions and some leads but nothing panned out...

So two years and an additional $35k later ... Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good price for around $75k??

Purpose for lot: Planning to build a modest house that will bearound 1500 sq ft (not including the garage) with a nice size yard inorder to insure there is “elbow” room between the neighbors and myself as wellroom for a very small vegetable garden.

Summary of lotRequirements:

1) Lot size MINIMUMS:

a. Within the 610 Loop: 0.25 acres (10,890 sqft) (if it has a view of the city skyline, I may consider asmaller lot)

b. Outside the 610 loop BUT within the beltway: 0.5acres (21,780 sq ft)

c. Outside the beltway: 1.0 acres (43,560 sq ft )

2) Lot location:

a. NOT near anairport

b. NOT near alarge canal

c. NOT nearlarge electrical power transmission line towers

d. NOT next toa railroad track

e. Location should be within a 30 minute drivetime of downtown Houston, TX

3) Miscellaneous:

a. Would prefer (but not required) an area with little orNO home association fees

b. Relatively low crime area

c. An area where the realtor wouldn’t have an issueliving there himself/herself

4) Budget for lot:

a. Lot should be under $75,000

Inside the loop? No way, unless you go east of 288 and violate the low crime requirement.

Inside beltway? Yes, but probably be close to industrial areas or areas with no services.

Outside beltway? Absolutely, You could get twice the land you are looking for (PM me for a list small list)

I have been looking for a lot for about 3 years now and about two years ago I posted the question "Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good price for around $40k?" I did get some suggestions and some leads but nothing panned out...

So two years and an additional $35k later ... Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good price for around $75k??

Purpose for lot: Planning to build a modest house that will bearound 1500 sq ft (not including the garage) with a nice size yard inorder to insure there is “elbow” room between the neighbors and myself as wellroom for a very small vegetable garden.

1) Lot size MINIMUMS:

a. Within the 610 Loop: 0.25 acres (10,890 sqft) (if it has a view of the city skyline, I may consider asmaller lot)

b. Outside the 610 loop BUT within the beltway: 0.5acres (21,780 sq ft)

c. Outside the beltway: 1.0 acres (43,560 sq ft )

2) Lot location:

a. NOT near anairport

b. NOT near alarge canal

3) Miscellaneous:

a. Would prefer (but not required) an area with little orNO home association fees

4) Budget for lot:

If you do not mind the crime rates inside the loop around Cullen, OST, etc you can get 8,000sq ft lots for 8-12K each...if you buy up enough of them you could get everything you want except the view and the crime.

I think you've priced yourself out of the East End with those requirements.

When I've looked at land prices there, best cases are around 35k for 1 lot. Very few have had a view. And I've never seen multiple lots together.

I think anyplace under your price point won't fit your crime criteria.

and re: the map... and crime

In the Trivia Pursuit, Houston edition game.... those two pie pieces spell trouble (disclaimer: mostly)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Yea I guess the search continues...

I think if I have to turn to HAR.com my choices will be very limited based on my criteria...

Thinking about biting the bullet and getting a subscription to realtytrac in order to see if I can find something there... My other option is to identify the areas I am interested in and maybe get out and talk to neighbors working in their yard to possible get the scoop to see if someone may be interested in selling... A friend of mine got lucky this way... A lot more leg work but I may find something that a realtor searching HAR might not see...

Wish me luck guys!

If someone has another helpful suggestion please let me know!

Thanks again!

networking is key to finding a good deal in a neighborhood you like.

i would start by picking two or three preferred areas in your price range. in addition to driving the neighborhoods and har searches, see if there are open houses, historical home tours or public events such as farmer's markets, festivals, etc. begin meeting people who share your interest in a particular area, as they will be most excited to share information.

start or find existing threads here at haif on neighborhoods you like. we have contributors (and a few realtors) who are very keen on their "neck of the woods"; eastwood, glenbrook, heights, the woodlands, sugarland, pearland....just to name a few.

good luck with your search and keep us posted on your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to rethink your lot size requirements. We found that our .15 acre suburban lot was a lot of maintenance and next to useless during much of the year due to the mosquitoes. Only after paving over half the back yard and putting in some mosquito defenses were we able to enjoy the space we have. If I had it to do over again I'd buy twice the house and half the lot.

... Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good price for around $75k??

1) Lot size MINIMUMS:

2) Lot location:

a. NOT near anairport

b. NOT near alarge canal

3) Miscellaneous:

4) Budget for lot:

Found this while HAR browsing and thought of you.

This is as close as you're going to get.

http://search.har.co...HAR43797007.htm

http://news.google.c...001328&t=h&z=20

The agent has the SF wrong. If the seller is selling both properties, then its .38 acres (16500SF) for $75k

Seems to fit all your requirements except possibly 3b ...even has a view of the TMC skyline.

Archived