Montrose Planning Meeting

Montrose Pedestrian & Bikeway Master Plan

Stakeholder Meeting, June 15; Public Meeting, July 21

The Houston-Galveston Area Council (HGAC) is seeking input from the community on its proposed pedestrian and bikeway master plan for the Montrose area. The plan will ultimately include projects to improve sidewalks, bikeways and access for person with disabilities, designate new bike routes and enhance signage.

The plan will focus on the area bounded by West Gray on the north, Shepherd on the west, Bissonnet on the south, and Main Street, Spur 527 and Louisiana Street on the east. This area includes five designated historic districts: Avondale East, Boulevard Oaks, Broadacres, Courtlandt Place and Westmoreland.

HGAC is hosting a stakeholders meeting for representatives and members of Montrose-area neighborhood associations, quality-of-life organizations and bicycle/pedestrian advocacy groups on Wednesday, June 15, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Anderson Hall, Building 20, on the University of St. Thomas campus. Group representatives are encouraged to bring a prepared agenda addressing each organization

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since the meeting is being held soon, I thought this thread should be revived.

Any ideas for improving Montrose area bikeways or sidewalks?

I'd like to see a sidewalk installed on the east side of Taft, between Westheimer and Hawthorne. This portion of Taft is more than sufficiently wide to accomodate sidewalks on both sides of the street, and the existing one on the west side of Taft is impassible (it even has a utility box installed in the middle of what used to be a sidewalk!)

Taft best serves residents of Westmoreland and Audubon Place who want to catch the 82 Westheimer bus. We deserve decent sidewalks.

Hey, bigtex, why settle for asking for a single sidewalk. An inner city neighborhood with those home values paying those taxes deserves a sidewalk on both sides of every stinkin' street in the hood.

I don't mean this as a slap at you. I mean you ought to jack slap anyone who asks for less...just as I ought to do it in the Heights.

Is it too much for this car crazy city to give us a lousy 3 foot wide strip of concrete?

...And now, back to your regularly scheduled post.