Houston Colt .45s History

devonhart

When I was a kid I sold Newspaper Subscriptions for the Houston Press, pretty good money for young guy 75 cents per write up! The press was popular and had a good base so making money was pretty easy. Our Press leader was this dork that was the manager for the paper routes in the area, so he also did the double duty taking the crews out and selling the paper after school. I'll always remember this guy because he was totally engrossed with the Colt 45's, his attire was always Colt 45 Jerseys and caps, seriously I don't think he owned any clothes other than those, and he probably slept at the ball park. I would bet he died when they changed the name to the Astros. :)

The Colt Firearms Co. claimed copyright infringement, so the ballclub changed the name to avoid a lawsuit.

According to Robert Reed's wonderful book _A Six-Gun Salute_, about the early history of Houston big-league baseball, the Colt Firearms Company did initially give permission (probably informally) for the team to use the name. However, as the Colt .45s name began to appear on souvenirs, merchandise, and promotional items (like toy pistols, for example), Colt became more and more uncomfortable with the situation. The newfound celebrity of the space program and the gee-whiz nature of the Harris County Domed Stadium created a good opportunity for a name change. The story goes that crates of what would now be very valuable Colt .45s souvenirs were unceremoniously bulldozed into a landfill on Roy Hofheinz's orders.

Thanx Devonhart for the video. I have an 82 y/o uncle in Arlington, TX that was with the Ranger organization from its infancy. He would enjoy your video and probably knew each and every player. Let's save any other comments of the Rangers for another thread.

• The title was changed to Colt 45s Newsreel
  • The title was changed to Houston Colt .45s History

Archived