Famous Locations That No Longer Exist

Materene

• 5 months later...

I tended bar at the iconic Todd's and also Elan back in the disco heyday of the late 70's. César Cedeño was a regular. Man, those were the days of drugs, sex, and dancing until you dropped. Todd's was one of the best clubs in Houston history - great memories, met many outstanding people. Elan was the sophisticated private club with sister clubs in Atlanta and Chicago. Fantastic epicurean meals were served to Houston's elite. Took an enormous drop in pay when I left the night life to take a job as an engineer.

• 2 years later...

I also joined to reply about this conversation, I went to all these Clubs, Winchester, Wells Fargo, Dance town, Frenchie Burke, Desperados, Mickey Gilley's

I wanted to say that the band that played at Winchester Club was Barney Williams & The Blackwood Band. Also Jacky Ward & The Blackwood Band. My brother in Law was David Cook the Drummer. David played most all these clubs, He played with Randy Corner too.

Barney Williams & BLACKWOOD BAND.jpg

Scan_69.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, just cant remember said:

there were 3 popular dance halls that teenagers hung out at in the mid 80's. i remember Tin Hall on saturdays and Bill Mraz on Sundays. I cannot remember the name of the one on Friday nights off Airline Drive in Houston. Does anyone know the name of it?

Dance Town USA? That's the first dance hall on Airline that comes to mind. It's been a bingo hall for quite some time now, but at least the building still stands, unlike Tin Hall and Bill Mraz.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/31/2011 at 12:48 AM, Bill Lins said:

The Winchester Club was on the north side of Bissonnet between Chimney Rock & Hillcroft- I forget the name of the cross street closest to it. Back when I was a young Bellaire cop working day shift in the late '70's we had a "departmental meeting" there every Friday night. 😉

it was originally on Westheimer near midtown/Montrose area then moved to larger Bissonnetet location. Does anyone remember the Isaac Payton Sweat Band steel guitar players name? Had such a crush on him LOL I was so young when I first heard them. I just found my signed Cotton-Eyed Joe album

20200920_135608.jpg

20200920_135619.jpg

On 1/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, just cant remember said:

there were 3 popular dance halls that teenagers hung out at in the mid 80's. i remember Tin Hall on saturdays and Bill Mraz on Sundays. I cannot remember the name of the one on Friday nights off Airline Drive in Houston. Does anyone know the name of it?

Dancetown USA now a bingo hall

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2020 at 2:17 PM, Tazgal1426 said:

it was originally on Westheimer near midtown/Montrose area then moved to larger Bissonnetet location. Does anyone remember the Isaac Payton Sweat Band steel guitar players name? Had such a crush on him LOL I was so young when I first heard them. I just found my signed Cotton-Eyed Joe album

The Sexy steel guitar player was Rick Mann. I certainly understand why you would have had a crush on him !

20200920_135608.jpg

20200920_135619.jpg

Rick Mann was that sexy, awesome steel guitar player !  Still as wonderful today !

F399FE9D-788D-4B55-8BAD-044B2AF6C90E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2015 at 9:34 AM, readam said:

Checked a map and it could have been ALDER between Chimey Rock and Renwick.  If my mind is on it I think I remember the place being a JMH grocey store in the 60s that was converted.  There were some apartments behind the building

I remember going there in the early 80’s on weeknights, drinking beer and dancing to Issac P Sweat and his Band and seeing Dr. Red Duke with a few nurses he brought to Happy Hour. Great place and music.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Reading about all the places of the past makes me think of “The Rose” off South 288. I’m frequently driving between here and Lake Jackson, but for the LIFE of me can’t remember the exact spot it was located. Not even really sure if that was it’s name or just what we called it. 

• Like 1

was it the Rose Hall in Alvin? That was on Hwy 35 just south of 528. It's a western wear outlet now. There was many a Saturday back in the 90s when the country band I worked with played there - it had a huge open area for people to walk around in a huge circle- some of y'all call that "two steppin". 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Famous Locations That No Longer Exist
  • 1 year later...
On 10/29/2010 at 9:57 PM, Materene said:

You got it, I haven't been there since 77 so much has changed , I can remember standing across Airline and there was a big ditch !! that's where everyone usually parked on Airline. I would have sworn that was the Jack in the Box right there on West Road. The Singer was Randy Corner of course, he also played the Wells Fargo often before he built that place. It still has an imprint on the concrete at street level but it is completely gone now.

This the current occupants of where the old Western Swing use to be. It’s the same building. I know this because, I still have friends & family that live around there. And grew up in the area & attended Stovall Jr. High directly across from the Swing. And I get to play music with Freddie Pate from time to time. And in case for those who don’t know. Randy Cornor, Randy Reeves (drummer)has passed on. R.P. Harrell, Freddie Pate & Robby Springfield are still kicking great. I actually use to sit in my grandmas car & listen to them in the Stovall horseshoe driveway on Friday and/or Saturday nights.

IMG_6117.jpeg

You got it, I haven't been there since 77 so much has changed , I can remember standing across Airline and there was a big ditch !! that's where everyone usually parked on Airline. I would have sworn that was the Jack in the Box right there on West Road. The Singer was Randy Corner of course, he also played the Wells Fargo often before he built that place. It still has an imprint on the concrete at street level but it is completely gone now.

This the current occupants of where the old Western Swing use to be. It’s the same building. I know this because, I still have friends & family that live around there. And grew up in the area & attended Stovall Jr. High directly across from the Swing. And I get to play music with Freddie Pate from time to time. And in case for those who don’t know. Randy Cornor, Randy Reeves (drummer)has passed on. R.P. Harrell, Freddie Pate & Robby Springfield are still kicking great. I actually use to sit in my grandmas car & listen to them in the Stovall horseshoe driveway on Friday and/or Saturday nights.

• Like 1