Red light cameras to face a vote!

IronTiger

Compared to the Redlight prop and the water tax prop, Prop 2 has gotten little love by the media or in HAIF. I wouldn't have read much into it either.

The reasoning on the ballot -

"Shall the City Charter of the City of Houston be amended to provide that for the general election to be held in November 2011, and for the purpose of redistricting, the required period of residency to file for the office of District Council Member shall be reduced from 12 months to 6 months preceding the election day? "

I think Larry's point is still valid... who care about the redistricting rationale if you still feel like 6 months or 12 months is too short a residency requirement for councilmen making decisions about Houstonians.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note and I had to post this somewhere since the other relevant topic was locked - just back from well site in Canada and got some texts while there confirming that Chris Daniels won! :wacko: This was the most perplexing thing in our local elections and for me illustrates the biggest problem with straight ticket voting. Nothing personal against the guy but this person just graduated from Law school in December 2009 for one, which I saw since my friend also graduated with him! Most people that have some background in this situation lost MUCH faith in the system.

I voted for Prop 2, but if they wanted more votes for it, I think they could have used a more accurate fix for the problem. Like say, decrease residency requirement for the district for persons who at least lived in the city for the previous year.

The way it was written was kind of like using a shotgun to swat flies.

I voted for Prop 2, but if they wanted more votes for it, I think they could have used a more accurate fix for the problem. Like say, decrease residency requirement for the district for persons who at least lived in the city for the previous year.

The way it was written was kind of like using a shotgun to swat flies.

Well, I have read up on it and seen the explanation (for my simple little brain) and it seems like a legit thing to vote for.

This being a census year, the maps will be redrawn (which I can't stand, BTW), and some members might up living in totally different district when that's done.

Reducing the amount of time for ONE ELECTION doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived