Distillery Twenty 5 Twenty

On my drive up Houston Ave last night, I noticed that oft-worked-on-oft-forgotten building on the NE corner of White Oak and Houston Ave has been busy with workers and as of last night now has a tarp saying 'coming soon, Distillery Twenty 5 Twenty Bar and Grill' or something to that effect.

Anyone got any further info on it?

I hope the drinks come with inner tubes because I've seen that intersection under water many times during heavy rains. I wonder if the proposed detention ponds will keep this area dry? I hope its not a douchebar.

Well, nothing on Google ...

Something with a good whisky selection would certainly be nice around here. As to being a douchebar, i didn't think that crowd made it much further north than Center St.... I think they'd most likely get scared off once they hit the rail tracks going up Houston Ave.

I saw this too, Interesting. They started working on this spot a lot in the past week weeks after letting it sit for months after adding the upstair porch and etc. I doubt this place would be able to be a douchebar, too many locals will run them off. I could easily stumble home from here so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

If the Eating Our Words (Houston Press blog) writes it up as "out of the way" or anti-establishment in any way it with either become a) douchy, or B) hipster to a level of being unbearable. Best bet to make this place any good: delete this thread and don't tell anyone you heard anything about it.

If the Eating Our Words (Houston Press blog) writes it up as "out of the way" or anti-establishment in any way it with either become a) douchy, or B) hipster to a level of being unbearable. Best bet to make this place any good: delete this thread and don't tell anyone you heard anything about it.

Can you post a link to that blog post? I can't seem to find anything on it.

I sure hope they have a good concept -- they've been throwing some major cash into that building lately!

I hear that microdistilleries are the new "in" thing. I actually had a friend talking about them the other day, he seems to think we will start seeing these pop up all over the country (kinda like wine bars in the past several years) I'm wondering if that is what this is going to be?

Can you post a link to that blog post? I can't seem to find anything on it.

I sure hope they have a good concept -- they've been throwing some major cash into that building lately!

They haven't posted a story on it yet. I said "IF" they do. We can only sit back and hope they never find out about it.

How absurd.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

http://002mag.com/wordpress/2010/11/02/business-profile-november-2010/

"My latest project is Distillery – Twenty 5 Twenty, near the Washington corridor. It is a sports-themed restaurant and bar. The concept is simple: build a comfortable place where one can get a good meal, especially thin crust pizzas, watch their favorite sports games and listen to good music. We sit on an acre of land surrounded by parks and lush green space with ample parking, outdoor patios and a second floor deck with views of our downtown skyline. With all the renovations, we’ve really transformed this location into an establishment that will make a significant contribution to this historic neighborhood."

Maybe it will draw the Washington Ave. crowd further north and they'll eventually migrate even further up 45.

As a member of the non-partisan Heights AntiDouche committee I will do my best to ensure no men with pink shirts are allowed north of I-10. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Any one been yet? They are open, but haven't done a thing to advertise themselves through the social networks so I don't know much about them at this point....

My g/f and I stopped in about a week ago and we're planning on having a bite there. Big mistake since the only food they were offering was delivery from Chatter's. Not sure if you had to place your own order or if they took care of that for you. Good thing we filled up a bit on bar snacks at ReHAB before going to Distillery. My thoughts on Distillery are that they are trying to cater to the Washington crowd. Think upscale sports bar not too far off from 360 Sports Lounge but not as finished in terms of decor.