Cy-fair Pushes For Commuter Rail

"commuter trains will soon run between suburbs and cities from Houston to College Station."

Article:

June 1, 2005, 6:55PM

Cy-Fair leaders push for commuter rail line

Coalition wants to bring agencies together to discuss plan

By KIM JACKSON

If Cy-Fair chamber of commerce and community leaders have their way, commuter trains will soon run between suburbs and cities from Houston to College Station.

The Cy-Fair Houston Chamber of Commerce's 290 Rail Coalition met last week to talk about recent developments that could set the stage for a fledgling commuter rail system to run on the railroad line along U.S. 290.

Continued at source:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/t...16/news/3206087

Edited by aggie0083

Well, I can attest to how quite a bit of the traffic has been going through the Hardy route.

For several weeks I've been using the Hardy Toll road and I would see 6 or 8 trains lined up waiting to go through town. And this is only from BW to 610!

It's amazing we don't have more traffic tie ups as it is with as trains waiting to go through and I wonder how many more trains are waiting up the line!

An expansion of Hwy 290 is LONG OVERDUE...I LOVE the idea of expanding Commuter rail down Hwy 290 to Cypress and 249 to Tomball. :)

Question...why in the hell would they run it out to College Station? Is the city looking to annex Bryan/College Station? Does this city really need more Aggies? ;) Are they going to help pay for this expansion?

On game days in the fall, something like 20,000 people from Houston will drive out to pack Kyle Field (it seats 87,000, and only about 25,000 are students). Even if only a small fraction of those people decide to ride the train, could you imagine the atmosphere that it would have? And think of the ride back, assuming they won - people would be singing songs the whole way. If I lived in Houston I would sneak a flask of whiskey on that train, steal swigs amid football conversation during the hour and a half ride, and arrive at the game smashed.

On game days in the fall, something like 20,000 people from Houston will drive out to pack Kyle Field (it seats 87,000, and only about 25,000 are students).  Even if only a small fraction of those people decide to ride the train, could you imagine the atmosphere that it would have?  And think of the ride back, assuming they won - people would be singing songs the whole way.  If I lived in Houston I would sneak a flask of whiskey on that train, steal swigs amid football conversation during the hour and a half ride, and arrive at the game smashed.

What a great dream :)

It would be nice to put the "station" back in College Station.

Sounds good to me. What's even better is that it's the BUSINESS community pushing this thing--the ol' Houston way. Which should mean that it'll get done.

Some other interesting things--

Only 8 trains a day on that line, huh? When my class did a project in little Brazoria (pop. 2800), their railroad had something like 26-28 trains a day, IIRC.

I'm encouraged by the Windfern Gardens resident's remarks about not wanting a sea of concrete like I-10. My mother-in-law also lives in Windfern Gardens and I can tell you that her sentiments are the same--she would like the option of a rail line to get her to work downtown.

Lastly, could this be in the transportation section to get more discussion? Even though I think most of it will revolve around how unnecessary it may be to some for a commuter line to go to College Station.

Too bad no body important on the west side all the way to katy isn't pushing for the same. I think that a commuter train starting down the katy freeway all the way to Katy would be excellent and pretty beneficial.

And eventually when the I-10 line is getting full, they could branch off.

On game days in the fall, something like 20,000 people from Houston will drive out to pack Kyle Field (it seats 87,000, and only about 25,000 are students).  Even if only a small fraction of those people decide to ride the train, could you imagine the atmosphere that it would have?  And think of the ride back, assuming they won - people would be singing songs the whole way.  If I lived in Houston I would sneak a flask of whiskey on that train, steal swigs amid football conversation during the hour and a half ride, and arrive at the game smashed.

there's 6 home games this fall. i think you'll need more reasons then that for rail all the way to college station.

you could probably give the exact same numbers for UT, except a lot more people would go to austin for other reasons...

but wherever they start, hopefully others will follow.