Landmark Signs Damaged By Hurricane Ike

mkultra25

LarryDallas' mention of the old Southwest Lincoln-Mercury showroom in the Car Dealers & Repair Shops thread reminded me of something I've been thinking about recently, namely, the number of long-lived business signs around town that were damaged or destroyed by Ike. Some of these landmarks had survived many instances of severe weather for years before finally being done in by Ike's sustained high winds.

Southwest Lincoln-Mercury's huge neon sign in the shape of a longhorn skull is the most obvious one; I drive by it every day on my commute. It was damaged but still standing after Ike, albeit with a couple of sections missing, but has recently been removed. Wish I'd taken a picture beforehand.

Also in the same vicinity, the motorcycle dealership at 59 and Gessner's old-style Honda sign with the letters H-O-N-D-A in white on individual red squares. Only the "H" remains now.

On a smaller scale, and possibly the oldest one, was the old Gulf Wind Motel's vintage neon sign along the inbound lanes of 45 North just south of Gulf Bank. It had been there for at least 40 years, but was replaced after Ike with an ugly screened-plastic, box-style sign. This pic of the old sign doesn't do it justice, but was the only one I could find that shows almost the entire sign.

4141550.JPG

What other similar signs can you think of that fell victim to Ike?

On a smaller scale, and possibly the oldest one, was the old Gulf Wind Motel's vintage neon sign along the inbound lanes of 45 North just south of Gulf Bank. It had been there for at least 40 years, but was replaced after Ike

A bit of irony there, eh?

'tis an ill wind that blows no good. At least, the damage done by Ike to the Tower Theater marquee prompted a complete renovation of its facade.

Some property owners were more conscientious than others in repairing Ike-damaged signs. It took the Jack In The Box on Montrose a year to repair their smashed sign.

Some property owners were more conscientious than others in repairing Ike-damaged signs. It took the Jack In The Box on Montrose a year to repair their smashed sign.

Same with the giant McDonald's sign at UH. They finally lowered it, repaired it, messed up something important, and had to re-lower it and repair it again. That was this spring, if I remember correctly.

The big FOLEY'S sign at Lockwood and 45 was sheared off of its metal structure. The twisted stump is still there and Macy's seems to be in no hurry to remove it or replace the sign.

• The title was changed to Landmark Signs Damaged By Hurricane Ike