Metro proposes to decrease weekday rail frequency

kylejack

METRORAIL RIDERS -- WE NEED YOUR INPUT!

You may have noticed that many times during the weekdays our station platforms are crowded and the trains are full, making boarding difficult.

To improve your commute, METRO is evaluating our current weekday rail service. We are proposing to run two-car trains on weekdays during the hours of 4:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. But to do this, we need to change the frequency of service from 6 to 9 minutes.

We need your input to help us make this decision.

Please complete the quick survey below. Please understand that this potential change affects weekdays only, and only the hours of 4:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.

We have two choices: Choice #1 - Weekday train service to remain at the current 6 minute frequency. Choice #2 - Train service on weekdays from 4:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. to operate with two-car trains (more room for riders) at a 9 minute frequency. Please choose one of these options.

Choice #1 - service as is, 6 minute frequency

Choice #2 - two-car trains, 9 minute frequency

Thanks very much for your help!

http://www.ridemetro.org/SelectSurvey/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=8lL13l6

The service is fine as is and they should leave it alone. I have always been able to board, and in fact the lower ridership recently has meant I virtually always get a seat.

Mmmm... interesting idea. I wonder if they will still wait at UH Downtown and Fannin South, because sometimes they wait there for about 5 minutes, when it seems like they should just go quickly. I understand the driver has to change sides but that doesn't take that long.

Anyway I voted for the 2 car trains, sometimes (especially in the Medical Center) it can get crowded with just one train.

I like the creative thinking, but they should absolutely not cut frequency. It would up the average wait from 3 to 4.5 minutes, making everyone's trip longer and making it harder to plan connections. Most times of day the crowding isn't all that bad. We can hang on until new cars start arriving, hopefully late next year.

They could, however, try to dispatch so that there's more like 7 minutes in front on double trains and 5 in front of singles so that loads match the available space slightly better.

Archived