METRO Transit Center At Gulfgate Mall

http://www.ridemetro.org/latest/releases/pr051705_1.asp

The new Gulfgate P&R and will serve routes:

5 Southmore

36 Lawndale

101 Hobby Airport Express

It will have slightly more than 200 parking spots.

Should be interesting to see how the commuters will adjust to this. Do you think that some commuters will surrender at the bottle neck at 610 and take the bus in?

Ricco

Good news for Gulfgate. I think some may take the bus in. Is the location of the transit center in a place where it may also be used by a future light rail? Metro I thinks want one of its new lines to nearby.

Yes the Gulfgate Transit Center will eventually serve light rail in addition to buses.

I don't know if the new transit center will convince people to park and ride instead of drive or not, but that usually isn't the intent with METRO's transit centers (park and ride lots are a different thing). This center mainly facilitates easier connections between several bus lines. The limited number of parking spaces will allow some riders to drive to the transit center, park, and hop on the bus, but these are mostly local bus routes that don't provide a nonstop ride to downtown for commuters.

A TC in the Gulfgate area has been needed for a long time, and it's great to see this project finished. It's probably too "close in" for most Gulf Corridor commuters to use as a park and ride location - if they've made it all the way up to 610 on 45 they'll probably stick it out until they get to the CBD or TMC - but the parking spaces might be used by commuters from nearby neighborhoods like Park Place. Hey, I might even use it sometime when I'm too cheap to pay for parking at Hobby - I'll just park there and take the 101 to the airport!

I love the gull-wing canopy design, too. Lots of credit goes to METRO staff architect Mike Williams for suggesting that look.

• 14 years later...
  • The title was changed to METRO Transit Center At Gulfgate Mall

Archived