iphone or droid x

I think the gripe is that the with Android, you can't run apps from the SD card. It's my understanding (corrections welcome), that while you can store songs and music and data files on the SD card, Android will only let you run apps from the main phone memory.

I've seen a lot of Android people state that one reason you shouldn't get an iPhone is because it doesn't have expandable memory. I don't think this is a very compelling argument when you look at the facts. The iPhone has 32GB of memory. From what I've read, most Android phones come with only an 8GB card, or 16 if you get a higher-end phone. If you want to match the iPhone's memory, you have to shell out an extra $175 for a 32GB MicroSD card. 64GB MicroSD cards to match the memory of an iPod Touch don't even exist. (I've seen some people claim that the iPod Touch serves as a great, cheaper, smartphone if you're a VOIP or MyFi person).

with V 2.2 (froyo) they added the ability for apps to be stored on the memory card. of course, the app itself has to be developed to take advantage of it. once you have froyo, and an app developed to benefit, you can choose (even after installed) whether it resides on the phone, or the storage card. pretty slick.

unfortunately there's a bug with it right now though, if you have an app that uses widgets, and you want to display those widgets, you can't (unless you put it back on the phone internal memory).

Anyway, good and bad.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an iPhone user, but I tell people to get what's most comfortable for them, and with what provider they like. I mean, why switch to AT&T or Verizon JUST for a phone. If you like the iPhone get it. If you like Android models, go with another provider.

I think Android phones are great, but I like the Apple ecosystem, but I think AT&T has a long way to go.

I'm an iPhone user, but I tell people to get what's most comfortable for them, and with what provider they like. I mean, why switch to AT&T or Verizon JUST for a phone. If you like the iPhone get it. If you like Android models, go with another provider.

I think Android phones are great, but I like the Apple ecosystem, but I think AT&T has a long way to go.

Good advice. I switched from Cincinnati Bell to T-Mobile because at the time neither CBW nor AT&T offered GSM phones, and I needed a GSM phone for overseas use. I then switched from T-Mobile to AT&T because AT&T caught up and T-Mobile fell behind in offering phones that work in both America and in Japan. To my knowledge, Verizon still doesn't offer a truly global option.

But because I use the phone almost exclusively as a data device, and not a voice device, I interact more with the phone than the network. So in some situations (mine, and my wife's for example), it would be absolutely worth it to switch to a weaker network (AT&T) in order to get a superior phone.

I just got the iPhone 4 yesterday. I'm going to start a new thread to list my impressions.

• 2 weeks later...

No matter which one you get - be careful with what you put on it...although it's more of an issue with Android since it's marketplace is "open" compared to iTunes...

http://mobile.venturebeat.com/2010/07/28/android-wallpaper-app-that-steals-your-data-was-downloaded-by-millions/

Yeah, I read about that. Crazy. I've always liked that the iPhone pops up a "This application wants to know your location" box the first time an app tries to access the GPS. After reading some more, I think there should be one for the address book, too.

reading about it too.

it's still going on, lots of updates and changes. first it was stealing everything on your phone, now it's stealing some stuff, the app developer changed his name, all sorts of weird things.

whatever the final story is, everyone should be careful about what they put on their devices (smartphones, computers, whatever), no matter the OS.

especially if you use these things for banking and credit card purchases.

No matter which one you get - be careful with what you put on it...although it's more of an issue with Android since it's marketplace is "open" compared to iTunes...

http://mobile.ventur...ed-by-millions/

I'm sure some of you may have already seen this, but others may not have:

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/05/wallpaper-apps-exonerated-google-issues-guidelines/

basically, Google reviewed the app and gave it a clean bill of not stealing people's info, and they re-released this wallpaper app to the market.

still, this should act as a warning to users of any kind of smartphone that you should be just as conscientious regarding what apps you install, or what websites you visit, as you are on your desktop/laptop PC!

I'm sure some of you may have already seen this, but others may not have:

http://www.androidgu...ues-guidelines/

basically, Google reviewed the app and gave it a clean bill of not stealing people's info, and they re-released this wallpaper app to the market.

still, this should act as a warning to users of any kind of smartphone that you should be just as conscientious regarding what apps you install, or what websites you visit, as you are on your desktop/laptop PC!

Very good advice!!

Another trojan hits Android:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/356443/trojan_hits_android_smartphones/

• 2 weeks later...

Love my new droid x. Everything i needed. To setup done in half an hour. Haif looks great! Xcellent!

yeah, I don't know whether a software update was done between when I had my iphone and started using my android, but the site renders amazingly on my android, and it was hard to use on my iphone. probably just that the software was updated to better display on smartphones, and not an android handles it better than iphone thing.

Archived