Vanity Fair - 21 architectural wonders of the modern world

The “most significant work of architecture created so far in the 21st century” votes:

1. Herzog&deMeuron, Bird's Nest (7 votes)

2. LeCorbu, Saint-Pierre Church (4 votes)

3. OMA, Seattle Central LIbrary (3 votes)

4.OMA, CCTV Beijing (2 votes)

5.Toyo Ito, Mediatheque Bldg (1 vote)

6.OMA, Casa da Musica (1 vote)

7.Jean Nouvel, Cartier Foundation (1 vote)

8.COOP, BMW HQ (1 vote)

9.Foster & Assoc., Millau Viaduct (1 vote)

A guy from Vanity Fair was on Charlie Rose last night talking about this. Pretty decent interview.

I was shocked that the Menil was on there, not because I don't think it's good, but I did not know it was held in such high regard...pretty sweet. Although it stinks, in the interview when Charlie was naming the top 5, he just said the Menil was in Texas, not Houston.

http://www.charlierose.com/

Here's a link that shows all the pictures from the slideshow in one page: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/08/architecture-survey-slideshow-201008?currentPage=all

I've been to four of these places. The picture they use for the HSBC building really doesn't do it justice. Though much of its significance is in how the interior is laid out (and thus VF used an interior photo), it is most visually striking from the outside. And at night. Here's a picture I took for HAIF's sister web site, Chinese Architecture.cn.

HSBCNewHeadquarters-003.jpg

More pictures of the HSBC New Headquarters.

It's also interesting that in a list of just 20 buildings, that two are churches. The cross of light is interesting, but I think I've seen that elsewhere. Doesn't Saint Basil's Chapel in Houston do that, as well? Or am I thinking of another building?

Here's a link that shows all the pictures from the slideshow in one page: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2010/08/architecture-survey-slideshow-201008?currentPage=all

I've been to four of these places. The picture they use for the HSBC building really doesn't do it justice. Though much of its significance is in how the interior is laid out (and thus VF used an interior photo), it is most visually striking from the outside. And at night. Here's a picture I took for HAIF's sister web site, Chinese Architecture.cn.

HSBCNewHeadquarters-003.jpg

More pictures of the HSBC New Headquarters.

It's also interesting that in a list of just 20 buildings, that two are churches. The cross of light is interesting, but I think I've seen that elsewhere. Doesn't Saint Basil's Chapel in Houston do that, as well? Or am I thinking of another building?

31838_f520.jpg yes.

• 1 month later...

The Menil is a a land mark building because of its roof. Piano is a genius, he saw that most works of art that Menil had were painted using natural light, so why display them in artificial light? The problem was that direct sunlight destroys the painting, so he devised those beautifully rendered louvers to diffuse the sunlight. Fantastic! The building itself is a work of art. On the other hand, the Twombly gallery experiment with the sail material as a sun diffuser isn't quite as elegant. Everyone should visit the Menil, its a treasure.

Archived