Garage Apartments

mcook2002

We are renovating our GA in The Montrose into more of a Mother-in-Law abode, but I am curious what people are getting for garage apartments these days. Back when I was living in one (it has been a while) it was about $1/ft/mo. Is that still the going rate?

We are renovating our GA in The Montrose into more of a Mother-in-Law abode, but I am curious what people are getting for garage apartments these days. Back when I was living in one (it has been a while) it was about $1/ft/mo. Is that still the going rate?

I lived in one, briefly, as recently as 2007 and that's about right. Don't have one, but my neighbors (lessors and lessees) confirm that's still a going rate in the east end. Here it will often get you a parking spot, too. In the Montrose and Heights, doubt you would get anything but tiny appliances and street parking for that price, though.

Edited by crunchtastic

We rent out our 1200 sq ft 2 bedroom garage apartment for $1050 (Houston Heights). I think I underpriced it considering it has two garage parking spots and a washer/dryer. I'll probably raise the rent next time.

For about 6 months in 2007, I paid $550 per month for a 350 sq foot garage efficiency with street parking in Montrose. I know I got screwed on the deal, but I had needed it in a hurry. I had a much better deal for a real apartment in Montrose with a parking space that was actually a little less than $1/sq foot. The deals are out there, even in the Heights, but you have to be patient and constantly looking or know someone who's moving.

Believe it or not, but Craigslist and the Greesheet are the two best sources for small individually owned units. People who own one or only a handful of units for rent don't typically put ads in the Chronicle or in those apartment magazines you find at the front of grocery stores.

Edited by AtticaFlinch

I've a friend who's renting a garage apt on 6th 1/2 st pretty much behind Onion Creek.. I think it's an efficiency style and I think it's still available.. PM if you want more details..