Moving To Houston... Questions

Bas

Hi Everybody.

I am very glad to find this site. I am moving very soon (within 2 weeks) to Houston from the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Oregon area). Even though I’ve been in Houston before, I admit that I don’t know all the neighborhoods very well. I am looking to rent for about a year before buying a house. I will be working downtown while my wife works for HP in Tomball. We are looking at somewhere in between. My relocation help found me a lot of houses in Katy (about 25-30 miles away from my work) and a lot of them look great but reading the horror stories about the commute gave me second thoughts. In my independent research I found few prospects just outside the west loop to the north. From my previous visits I remember that it was a fairly nice area. But I want a second opinion. How safe it is and such stuff. We don’t have kids yet so we are not worried about the school situation. I would also like to know everybody’s opinion about living in Katy and working downtown.

I appreciate any comments. I am sure I’ll be back here often to ask about restaurants, cultural life, and other things.

Look in the areas just north of Loop 610 along TC Jester and Ella. This area has some nice homes that will put you and your wife in a good position to reach both jobs.

Youu can also look just inside the Loop between Shepherd and TC Jester. Many new homes are going up and may be in your price range.

What is your price range by the way?

Also,

There are many homes to rent in the Heights and in the areas I'm suggesting to buy.

The Spring area might be a good compromise between downtown and Tomball. It is in North/Northwest Houston (20 miles from the CBD) and there are many nice neighborhoods including some along Cypresswood Drive. This seems like a better solution as Katy wouldn't be convenient for either of you.

Look in the areas just north of Loop 610 along TC Jester and Ella.  This area has some nice homes that will put you and your wife in a good position to reach both jobs.

Youu can also look just inside the Loop between Shepherd and TC Jester.  Many new homes are going up and may be in your price range.

Also,

There are many homes to rent in the Heights and in the areas I'm suggesting to buy.

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking to rent for $900-$1200. 3 bedroom family house.

Since I am not familiar with neighborhoods names, Could you please define the areas you recommend by how close they are to the major highways (like: just west of 610 and north of 10)? Or even better, if you know the MLS area on har.com. Finding a safe neighborhood is a concern. Could you please comment on that.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking to rent for $900-$1200. 3 bedroom family house.

Since I am not familiar with neighborhoods names, Could you please define the areas you recommend by how close they are to the major highways (like: just west of 610 and north of 10)? Or even better, if you know the MLS area on har.com. Finding a safe neighborhood is a concern. Could you please comment on that.

Thanks again.

here is a very informative houston site for leasing an buying. here is a link to their leasing page. if you have any questions on the areas listed, please feel free to ask. there are no apartment listings on this site though if that is your thing.

http://har.com/cs_forlease.htm

Katy would be a nightmare commute. Not convenient for either.

The Oak Forest area, very roughly Ella Blvd to the east, 610/290 on the south, Antoine on the West and Pinemont to the north, would be a good compromise. It gets you close enough in that you not only would have a reasonable commute to downtown, but also have access to the Galleria and the nighlife of the city. Your wife could take Antoine or some other alternatives to FM 249, which would swing right in front of HP. If you can find something in Garden Oaks, just to the east of Oak Forest, that is nice too, but more expensive. I am not that crazy about Inwood Forest, but a lot of people like it and that too would be kind of inbetween.

Go on HAR.com and look up rentals for these areas & see what you find.

Thanks so much everybody for the info.

I did not find houses that meet my needs in the areas suggested. But I found some in other area. Can some of you give me an honest input (tell it like it is) about these sub-div? Ranking would help. The more replies from more people the better. I appriciate your help.

the areas are:

NORTHWEST PARK SEC 1 & R/P

SPRING MEADOWS 2 & RP

WESTWOOD PATIO HOMES

WESTBRANCH SEC 2 PAR R/P (Spring branch)

SHARPSTOWN COUNTRY CLB TERR

HIDDEN VALLEY 7

WEST PARK

Inwood Northwest II

BAYOU BEND

Waiting for replies....

Look in the areas just north of Loop 610 along TC Jester and Ella.  This area has some nice homes that will put you and your wife in a good position to reach both jobs.

Youu can also look just inside the Loop between Shepherd and TC Jester.  Many new homes are going up and may be in your price range.

Also,

My god, this is the exact thought that came to my mind when I read the original post. Good eye, KJB.

And welcome, Bas, to Houston.

Well what are your needs exactly?

- Family house (no condos, apts)

- 3 bdrms +

- 2 baths +

- 2 car garage attached

- Safe and family friendly area (very important)

- around 1500 sq ft

- ideally half way between downtown and highway 6 in the northwest direction (where HP/Compaq is) closer to downtown is even better

Also,

Hi Bas,

Your best bet is to investigate the above advice from kjb434. It would be a pretty good commute for the both of you, plus the area is fairly nice.

You wouldn't have far to drive going downtown, and your wife would be driving against traffic on 45 or 290 and shouldn't have traffic issues most days.

Hi Bas,

Your best bet is to investigate the above advice from kjb434. It would be a pretty good commute for the both of you, plus the area is fairly nice.

You wouldn't have far to drive going downtown, and your wife would be driving against traffic on 45 or 290 and shouldn't have traffic issues most days.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any houses for lease in that area. There are some further north in subdivisions I listed earlier on this thread but I have no idea how nice these neighborhoods are. I read on another thread that there are a lot of ghettos in that part of Houston. Any advise?

I have another question. I read a lot about how horrible the commute is from Katy and also about the construction on the Katy highway. Is there an area closer west that maybe less of a nightmare. I found listing for nice houses about 23-25 miles west of downtown, would that be still a horrible commute? Also, How is the commute on the 290? I would probably find something decent there about the same distance (23-27 miles).

I appreciate all your advises and comments.

US 290 is great place to look, but the commute to downtown is just like I-10 (Katy). I might even say worse. You can try and use the park-n-rides to get to downtown or find someone to carpool with. Your wife should have no problem getting to HP. She can just take the belt around to 249 from US 290. If she gets and EZ Tag, there is a dedicated ramp for her. If not, she'll just have to endure a couple of lights.

I would try hard not do the US 290 commute from outside the beltway and the Kate commute.

If you had to pick from those too, I would take the US 290 so your wife would have it ok and you can use the park and rides or carpool.

As for neighborhoods north of I-610 around Ella and TC Jester. Some are nice and some aren't. Ususally the closer the freeway the better. I know the area between Shepherd and TC Jester is ok and does have some places to rent. The houses are mix between small and large. It's also very quiet. The further north you go, Pinemont and beyond, it's not as nice.

First thing you have to understand is nothing here is measured in distance, it is measured in time. You will learn why soon enough.

As for the communities you mentioned, there are a couple I am not that familiar with. Northwest Park is all cookie cutter tract homes that can be described as a garage door, front door, and two windows. Pretty much every house in there fits that description. So-so area but geographically somewhat in-between.

Hidden Valley, well, lets just say it has seen better days. Inwood Northwest is so-so also. Not terrible. I guess my issue with neighborhoods like that and NW Park is you get all the down sides of the suburbs, (bland, no architecture, distance from the arts, good nightlife, shopping) and all the disadvantages of urban living (seedy houses, run-down apartment complexes all around, etc) and none of the advantages of either urban or suburban living. That is just my opinion though. Bayou Bend is a little greener with better trees.

Sharpstown C.C.? That is totally the other direction. Not good for HP commute. If you get closer in, as pointed out in earlier threads, not only will you get better access to the city amenities, but your wife will commute against traffic, (think distance in time, not miles), You could get much closer in and have an equal commute time.

Check out Magnum manor also, maybe there is something in there

rps sez:

First thing you have to understand is nothing here is measured in distance, it is measured in time. You will learn why soon enough.

That's very accurate. The prime question should be, what time would you be leaving work?

If you left for work from the BW-290 or Bw/I10 area at about 6am, then it would be quite an easy commute. 10 minutes later and you will be trapped for an hour or so.

In regards to "Safe and friendly" Friendly is most of the city, safe is relative and is a misconception that crime happens only in "Bad areas of town".

You need to look into all aspects of the lifestyle of your family when you consider a move. Commuting and as wel entertainment should enter your equation. You would do yourself a service if you looked into some of the neighborhoods that are closer into downtown if you go out alot.

If commuting is your major issue, then at the moment, the Southwest, south, and southeast are your best bets since construction is either at an end, or non-existent, or not going to be happening in the next few years and there are plenty of nice neighbhorhoods in those regions that would suit your purposes.

Pearland along 288 is a booming community, however, the commute times are increasing substantially. But the quality of the neighbhorhoods are of a standard that you may be requesting.

Commutes from the South East have stabilized as there are fewer "New" communities popping up. But the majority of the neighborhoods are "mature" and are quite good with a reasonable commute times all the way out to El Dorado exit with good alternative routes.

The Con to living in the South East is that during the summer (and Mardi Gras) time is the heavy traffic to the Beach in Galveston in the mornings and weekends.

South West (S59) is increasing in the number of communities and also currently has reasonable travel times during commutes with decent alternate routes. Construction on the highway (inside the loop) will be completed within the next couple of years.

The rest of the users can confirm, dispute, or add to my comments. But a few of the users here know my knowledge of the various areas of the cities.

Afterall, it's what I do.

Ricco

Another area to consider might be Lindale Park. Prices are reasonable and the commute to downtown would be minimal, the HP commute wouldn't be that difficult either as you could take 45 north for a few miles and catch 249 heading west/northwest.

Older areas like that have a lot of rentals by owner that never hit the MLS. Many of the homes are 2 bedroom one baths, but three/twos do exist as well. You might peruse Craigslist.com and backpage.com for rentals by owners.